Frontier Snowblower

/ Frontier Snowblower
The Blizzard 84" unit has a 28" diameter fan and their 74" blower has a 24" fan. So would that give a significant in performance for the bigger blower?

/ Frontier Snowblower #12  
The Blizzard 84" unit has a 28" diameter fan and their 74" blower has a 24" fan. So would that give a significant in performance for the bigger blower?
===================================================================================

Yes it will throw more snow but the tractor has to have enough engine power to maintain 540 RPM in all conditions.

The larger fan is always a good idea but the bigger issue is the gearbox rating and engine frame size as relates to the torque created and delivered to the gearbox that spins the impeller and open cross auger that feed the impeller paddles as the snow is pushed into it with the tractor.

Some of the Kubota members and other mule owners invested in wider snow casters and just go slower so they can clear snow pack in fewer passes. So its a give and take issue; they opted for a wider unit and they just go slower on the first pass in deep snowpack or when cleaning snow fall in general.

If they being RAD and others invested in a solid cross auger for the two stage units like the Berta in the example they would throw snow further as the snow would be cut in to its smallest part before it entered the impeller housing and was cast away.

If you look at the small rear mount Berta snow caster for small tractors it is built for heavy alpine snows and it is equipped with flow gates to keep the snow in rather than let it be pushed away as
the open cross augers do without serrations in the auger flighting to cut the snow up do even with light snow falls.

The unit is very well built and meant for heavy wet snows and ice and has solid cross augers with serrated flighting to cut the snow up as it pushes it to the impeller.
the two sheilds/guards/doors that are above the cross auger prevent snow from be cast out and hitting a 2 or 4 legged pedestrian.

Attachments

• Bertasnowcasterspazzaneve_80hp.jpg
    Bertasnowcasterspazzaneve_80hp.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
   / Frontier Snowblower
===================================================================================

Yes it will throw more snow but the tractor has to have enough engine power to maintain 540 RPM in all conditions.

The larger fan is always a good idea but the bigger issue is the gearbox rating and engine frame size as relates to the torque created and delivered to the gearbox that spins the impeller and open cross auger that feed the impeller paddles as the snow is pushed into it with the tractor.

Some of the Kubota members and other mule owners invested in wider snow casters and just go slower so they can clear snow pack in fewer passes. So its a give and take issue; they opted for a wider unit and they just go slower on the first pass in deep snowpack or when cleaning snow fall in general.

If they being RAD and others invested in a solid cross auger for the two stage units like the Berta in the example they would throw snow further as the snow would be cut in to its smallest part before it entered the impeller housing and was cast away.

If you look at the small rear mount Berta snow caster for small tractors it is built for heavy alpine snows and it is equipped with flow gates to keep the snow in rather than let it be pushed away as
the open cross augers with out serractions to cut the snow up do even with light snow falls.

The unit is very well built adn meant for heavy wet snows and ice and has solid cross augers with serrated flighting to cut the snow up as it pushes it to the impeller.
the two sheilds/guards/doors that are above the cross auger prevent snow from be cast out and hitting a 2 or 4 legged pedestrian.

Thanks for the great info! If the RAD unit just had serrations on the auger, would that be of any benefit?

/ Frontier Snowblower #14  
Thanks for the great info! If the RAD unit just had serrations on the auger, would that be of any benefit?

Probably but only when attacking frozen piles of snow, however if you have kept up your snow removal duties that would not be necessary as your drive would always be at max desired width, would it not?
Those 'teeth' are only needed to crunch old frozen snow banks.

My RAD has no 'teeth' and I can blow just about any snow.
(well not today as we had some 5 days of serous thaw followed by -20 last night. I can drive up and over the berms without sinking in. LOL, also my drive resembles a NHL arena)

/ Frontier Snowblower #15  
Bigger fan blade would increase velocity and more blades (4 vs 3) increase volume.
But with wet sticky snow you will always have clogging with all configurations.
My friends 24" 4 blade clogs just as much as my smaller 3 blade in certain snow conditions (wet 'snowball snow')

This is where the ability to bypass the chute comes in handy, by use of a rotating drum like the pronovost TRC series.

/ Frontier Snowblower #16  
Probably but only when attacking frozen piles of snow, however if you have kept up your snow removal duties that would not be necessary as your drive would always be at max desired width, would it not?
Those 'teeth' are only needed to crunch old frozen snow banks.

My RAD has no 'teeth' and I can blow just about any snow.
(well not today as we had some 5 days of serous thaw followed by -20 last night. I can drive up and over the berms without sinking in. LOL, also my drive resembles a NHL arena)

I know what you mean, that melt/freeze is nasty. Maintaining width can be tough especially in long storm cycles. If we get 2 or 4 inches of snow I'm gonna just plow that, not blow it. And we have a lot of rock, so even when I blow I avoid scraping down all the way -- but then if someone needs their hill scraped pretty clean for traction (one neighbor in particular), I might plow that after blowing or at least every other time. And every winter brings something different.

/ Frontier Snowblower #17  
It would be somewhat but if you are not keeping up with the snow that is another issue entirely. RAD will never anything like that as they build and sell equipment for a quite large number of private labels that involve MTD and others in the business.

I guess my felling would be to contact Paul Vanderzon at Vanderzon.ca and ask how much a Pronovost TRC800 with the extended chute would cost you the only issue is you will have to add a third valve for the impeller drum rotation to make use of it UNLESS you have three or four pairs of remotes to useand or a front end loader with quick attach remote connections(the loader would have to be removed).

Compare his price to what Joel at earth tools would want for the Berta Little monster in the picture (they offer three sizes) and go from there as the Berta two stage unit does not have a rotating impeller drum and all you would have to decide on is the chute and spout style you want.

You would have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to get the Berta unit after you send the money to Joel and he sends it to Berta in Europe.

/ Frontier Snowblower #18  
Leon - What is the width of that Berta? I haven't seen that one.

/ Frontier Snowblower #19  
The beast is a 33 inch unit, I have to find the information PDF sheet here somewhere as it has two larger siblings.
This one is also able to be used on a two wheel mule with a different drive speed if my memory is correct and it has adjustable skid pads too.

/ Frontier Snowblower #20  
The beast is a 33 inch unit, I have to find the information PDF sheet here somewhere as it has two larger siblings.
This one is also able to be used on a two wheel mule with a different drive speed if my memory is correct and it has adjustable skid pads too.

That thing is awesome. Wish they'd make a 3 point version.