Frontloader bucket protection?

/ Frontloader bucket protection?
A tractor loader really isn’t the optimal tool for scooping hard pack dirt but a tooth bar will help a lot. Also use your backhoe to break it up before digging with the loader.
That was the main reason a backhoe was a must-have. I expect there will be places I have to use the auger and backhoe to break things up and front bucket for moving.

Thank you for all the constructive replies! BTW, in exploring the forums I was surprised to learn you good folks have interests in things other than just tractors! Who knew..😁

This tractor is the most expensive thing I have ever purchased that didn't come with a deed..I want to make sure I get long use out of it. I would like to think it will outlast me.

I will try to address what I can from your comments:

Correct on the type of bucket and hoe. 78" and 24" 4-tooth. Not sure what a weed bucket is, but likely whatever the most basic thing they could include in the tractor package.

I will look for the ripper/pick. Had not heard of that. Sounds like a useful tool.

I wanted the 4-in-1 bucket but will have to get one when the smoke clears from the tractor and property purchases. It wasn't an available option with the tractor at purchase.

Leading to QUESTION 2: Is there a simple way to determine what attachments/implements will work with a given tractor or FEL model? I think I understand the hydraulics and 3-point variants. But if I find a 4-in-1, it is a given that it will work on the FEL?

I contacted NRCS a couple of months ago and initiated some paperwork there. They are coming out to take a look in February. I have also been reading as much as I can on erosion control techniques, etc. We are learning about some of the programs available out there for conservation. Our intent is to maintain the property as natural other than the area right around homesite I have spoken to a few folks at the county, have some more engagements to make. I was told, but will have to confirm that COE and Fish and Wildlife have no interest in what we do since we are dealing with an arroyo, even if there is a creek name associated. The creek is dry most of the time, so doesn't fall into the "navigable waterway" realm.

Out here, short of 20 feet of the county road, they don't care too much what you do. But they do get touchy about the surface water. I am not really trying to stop/hold the water as much as slow it down and reduce the force behind it. Its a laudy goal, I admit!

A tractor is not the ideal tool for all I want to do. Realistically, I need a collection of construction machinery, but buying an excavator, bozer, etc. aren't in the budget. Cost to hire it all out would exceed Pueblo County's rural road maintenance budget..and way beyond my means. So, I decided to get a tractor and see what impact I could have.

I did receive advice to avoid the cost of a backhoe and just rent one as needed, but I see regular use of the backhoe in cleaning sediment from ponds, etc.

Some of the first tasks I believe I can do with help of the tractor:
1. Clear an area nearer the road to put in a metal shop/storage building (tractor/camper/tool storage)
2. Cut a rudimentary path across the property so at least my old jeep crawler and the tractor can traverse it. I love hiking it, but carrying fence-mending supplies.. no so much.
3. Clear an arroyo bed crossing on said path and clear it after flash floods
4. Repair 7 or so old small ponds that have filled with sediment and blown out over 40+ years of neglect. I will build rock spillovers for the water make its way to the arroyo..again to slow the water and capture some of the sediment
5. Clear sediment from old concrete weir that I discovered in the arroyo (neighbors told me best not refer to it as a dam)
6. Put in some gabion cages to prevent/slow undercutting of some of the fragile cliff banks, along with some vanes and baffles, or whatever the NRCS folks recommend
7. Put in a bunch of one-rock dams in the many cuts that run across the property from the ridge on the north side south to the arroyo
8. Get to and repair lots of 100+ year old wire fencing.

There is a lot I will have to hire out and will require PE certifications. The real drive to the build site will have to be certified to support a minimum 75,000 lbs (fire trucks..) and construction equipment for the well drillers, site prep and builders. The power company will likely want to follow that route to get power to the site. The list goes on and on. It will take years.

I am working to foster relationships and get involved in the community. Pretty difficult in the current environment, but doing what I can. I figure those folks can best recommend who to go to to get things done. Heck, I already met a guy that builds metal buildings and a witcher! She offered to come out and do some dowsing to help us ID some potential well locations.

Boy, I am developing a long post habit.. I will try to more concise in the future.
Enjoying the forum and the helpful/constructive tone I have found in my surfing.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #13  
I think you should look for a used wheel loader. Do not get a backhoe. Take that money and buy the most clapped out, functional excavator in your area. You will thank me later.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #14  
I think you should look for a used wheel loader. Do not get a backhoe. Take that money and buy the most clapped out, functional excavator in your area. You will thank me later.

I would agree with you but I think he’s already bought the machine. A CTL would be my recommendation over an excavator though. An excavator is great for digging dirt but terrible at moving it. A CTL with a tooth bucket will dig pretty good and has the ability to carry dirt. It’s also good at grading and multitasking.

Last edited:
Thanks. It will be awhile before I can even afford to look.
We will see if I can drive into the ponds or if it's too soft. I thought I would need a backhoe or excavator to reach in there.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #16  
A backhoe isn’t very useful for dredging a pond. 360 swing is almost mandatory to get the mud out of the pond.

The "ponds" are really depressions that the ravines drain into during heavy rains. They are probably 20-30 feet across at most. The whole place is dry most of the time. I will try to post a picture or two.

It would be great to have a yard full of equipment, but I don't. I am trying to figure out how best to use and take care of the tractor/backhoe I have and do what I can.

This is generally the lay of the land. Junipers, pinion pines and small cactus..
HgWL2tUJQKOz+GlYDowXHQ.jpg

This was after one of the floods and the arroyo had dried back out. The wall of the arroyo is about 25ft tall there.
OvVLJmzTQmyT%t9q7hE2yQ.jpg

Elsewhere on the property, these 2 chunks of earth are each about the size of my wrangler. They were part of the wall I am standing on prior to the storm. The cow path was across the top of them when they were still attached.
SJtNChpYTRKJBgZOR3l7JQ.jpg

Just including to get some idea of the type of terrain I have. The storms come through a few time a year. Otherwise the place is typically pretty bone dry. More like what you would think of northern NM than what folks picture as Colorado Rockies.