Frontloader bucket protection?

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #1  

JPSwapMohn

Tractor
LS MT468CPS
Hello all, I am new to the forum and new to the world of tractors. I skimmed quite a bit in this forum in my research. Figured I would join once I had one.

(skip to THE QUESTION if you don't want the yarn..)

I recently purchased an LS MT468CPS with various attachments to start working on erosion prevention/recovery on a 250-ish acre property in SE Colorado. There is a pretty decent arroyo running through the property that sees some serious flash floods. The land is part of what was once an ancient seabed, so a lot of loose shale, sandy soil and river rocks. It is very rugged terrain.

I searched a lot and talked to quite a few dealers and local ranchers. I knew I required a 4x4 with a cab, front loader and backhoe. Something in the 50-75hp range was strongly recommended by most that I spoke to. Most of the dealers in the area didn't have anything in stock and weren't sure when they would. I drove 125 miles north to purchase the LS.

I am pretty impressed with it, but the last tractor I "used" was my gpa's old Ford back when I was a kid. It now has a whoopin' 4.5hrs on it.. I have played with the tractor just enough so far to feel I can slowly start on some of the many many projects I have in mind.

THE (first) QUESTION: I will be moving a lot of rock and gravel. I have a cutting edge for the 78" bucket, but what else I should consider to maximize the life of the bucket? It is going to see hard use. I have seen corner guards and bucket liners online but not sure I need them.

The property is pretty remote, so any other recommendations to keep me and the equipment on task are much appreciated.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #2  
Get a toothbar or cutting edge for your bucket and just use it. But use your bucket as a loader, not a bulldozer. They are designed to take heavy use, but not abuse. Don’t ram into hard or immovable objects.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #3  
A tractor loader really isn’t the optimal tool for scooping hard pack dirt but a tooth bar will help a lot. Also use your backhoe to break it up before digging with the loader.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #4  
My best advice is don't get over confident with your machine, sometimes you can get away with it but sometimes you won't get much warning before catastrophe happens.

Kioti Broken in Half

Ballast your tires also. With the backhoe on board you should have enough weight behind the axle for safety, avoid sidehills and keep your loader bucket low even when empty.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #5  
When lifting things keep the load centred. Lifting a heavy load on 1 side of the bucket can leave a permanant twist in the loader arms if abused enough.

Get a "ripper / pick" for the back hoe. Your digging bucket probably has 4 teeth. You will be amazed at how much more you can do with the force consentrated on 1 tooth when compared to the digging bucket. Assumption, your backhoe came with 78" weed bucket and 4 tooth digging bucket in 18 - 24" range.

Have a serious think as to what you are doing and how a contractor could do the BIG stuff that you can't. They can do the job faster than you and know the traps to avoid AND you don't beat your tractor to bits, so you can concentrate on the smaller stuff you can do, and get some confidence boosting sucess under your belt.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #6  
3032514546.gif

and enjoy the forum!

Have fun with your new LS but remember it is not a toy.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #7  
I recently purchased an LS MT468CPS with various attachments to start working on erosion prevention/recovery on a 250-ish acre property in SE Colorado. There is a pretty decent arroyo running through the property that sees some serious flash floods. The land is part of what was once an ancient seabed, so a lot of loose shale, sandy soil and river rocks. It is very rugged terrain.
First step might be to check with county and state authorities to find out what you can do legally.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #8  
I've had a dozen tractors over the past 60 years, and agree with getting both a 3pt ripper and a ripper for the hoe. That way you won't wreck the FEL. But more importantly, concentrate on using your loader for LOADING loose material, not for bulldozing hardened dirt. A tractor is not a bulldozer, although it will do a little bit of that type of work it is hard on them. Hire a bulldozer to do the bulk of your dirt work. You will find that to be a better use of your investment. The bulldozer will leave plenty of work for you to do with the tractor.

Used primarily as a loader, the bucket will last as long as the tractor will. Don't worry about it. I assume that you have SSQA, and that means you have a choice of buckets. When you look over your bucket choices, you'll find that FEL buckets aren't aren't all that expensive compared to tractors anyway. The most expensive and heavily built rebuildable FEL buckets aren't that much more dollars than the lightweight cheap ones.

If you just love that bucket and want to make it last, most buckets have replaceable cutting edges so you can replace the cutting edge once or twice before the back wears out. I like the type of hardened bolt on cutting edge that curves up to provide a wear surface on the corners of the loader bucket.

Another bucket option is a called a 4n1 bucket. Look them up. a 4n1 bucket will do a little more bulldozing than a standard bucket. It will also do some grappling. All that is assuming that your tractor has SSQA and an extra front hydraulic control - called a "3rd function". Most loaders on large machines come with both, but if yours doesn't then that is itself a good place to start adding ability.

rScotty

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #9  
Buckets can be rebuilt and repaired. Through normal use they do wear, if you start to bend it, you are probably abusing it.

/ Frontloader bucket protection? #10  
First step might be to check with county and state authorities to find out what you can do legally.
NRCS has people who can assess your land and design erosion control projects. They also do this for free.