Frost plug block heater location ?

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #1  

wheelbuilder

Platinum Member
Tractor
1988 Bolens/Iseki 1502, also Sears GT5000
I was looking at block heaters for a tx2140 with the k3a and am trying to sort out which frost plug would get used. I read what was on Katz web page and I'm missing something from their directions.
Has anyone installed one of these ?

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #2  
I have one on my K3B engine but I can't remember which side it's on but I believe the left side in the middle of the block. Technically you could install it in any of the freeze plugs but the more centralized and lower the better. You'll need to measure the diameter of the plug (in mm) to get the correct size. I've only installed one of these and it was on a KE75 engine in the plug behind the starter. I believe it was a 40 or 50 mm on that engine. It's pretty easy if you have good access to the plug and it is well worth the effort to have the option of some sort of heating capability. Once my KE75 gets to around 20 degrees F it's a real bear to start, even with a new battery, starter, and 2 gauge wires between each. I find it still requires a jump start when the heater isn't used to get it to crank fast enough to start. On the battery alone it usually can't even do a complete crank without stopping at the compression stroke when that cold. I don't seem to have that issue on my K3 engines. I'm not sure if it's just the starter is stronger or other reasons. The problem with the heater is I usually don't know when I'll need to use my tractor and don't like to keep it plugged in all the time. Good luck.

/ Frost plug block heater location ?
Katz guide says it's on the right side of the engine. Last oil change I was looking, and believe there were 3 plugs on that side. I'll get after it with the calipers, they claim it's a 45 mm one. It sounds like space in the block is tight, I'd like to be sure so it doesn't turn into new frost plug day or find out I'm into other stuff on that side.
The k3a had a couple or 3 days that needed a boost to start last winter. The magnetic heater helped somewhat, but I think a warmer chunk of iron would help more.

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #4  
I purchased a Freeze plug from Napa and installed it myself and that has been over 15 years ago and two or three hours it is hot and ready. The freeze plug heater goes in the hole where the plug came out of and by tightening a nut it swells out the rubber against the wall of the plug opening and never has leaked or went bad. Like it very much.

I purchased a Freeze plug from Napa and installed it myself and that has been over 15 years ago and two or three hours it is hot and ready. The freeze plug heater goes in the hole where the plug came out of and by tightening a nut it swells out the rubber against the wall of the plug opening and never has leaked or went bad. Like it very much.
I took a look after the snow here. It looks like it would go right over the oil filter (the other 2 plugs on that side are tiny).
Is that about right ?

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #6  
If you have a choice of which frost plug to use, use one in between the cylinders,
if it lines up with a cylinder it will be very shallow behind it.

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #7  
I took a look after the snow here. It looks like it would go right over the oil filter (the other 2 plugs on that side are tiny).
Is that about right ?

I have a two cylinder Isuzu Diesel engine and right now it is a few miles away getting a rocker assembly installed so I cannot answer that question now.

/ Frost plug block heater location ? #8  
You may want to order an extra frost plug when you get your heater. Mine, ( different Iseki ) wouldn't go in the center plug hole as the directions said. The element was too large for the jacket. I had to pull out the front one and it barely fit. Then I was down another day waiting for a cheap frost plug to show up for the center hole. Good luck !!

Don't sweat it unless you think it would help someone else - mine is the 3 Cyl Mitsubishi