Frost Seeding

/ Frost Seeding #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I just purchased 200lbs of a pasture seed blend with trefoil (20%), red and white clover (50%) and timothy grass (30%). I am hoping to frost seed 20 acres of cattle pasture on Sunday. This will be my first time frost seeding. Has anyone had success with frost seeding?

/ Frost Seeding #2  
Only had success when the ground was rototilled in the fall, sprayed with round-up 2 weeks later and then had winter hit.

Might be better to work the soil up first...

/ Frost Seeding #3  
Luremaker: In WI frost seeding works 50% of the time. If you do it you should doudle the seeding rate. I would get a neighbor to notill the pasture. Better germination less risk.
Renovator

/ Frost Seeding
Thanks for the insight. Frost seeding seems popular in my area. Most farmers use an ATV and spreader and spread the seed when the temperature will drop below freezing overnight. On the Ministry of Agriculture's web site they claim frost seeding is generally helpful very little information. Because of the large rocks in my pasture I do not think I could find anyone willing to use a drill here and risk damaging his equipment. Clover and timothy seed prices are low this year, trefoil high at $3.20lb. I'll give it a try and see what happens.