Frosted Beans, cucumbers etc

/ Frosted Beans, cucumbers etc #1  

theboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HST
Well I ain't sure what's happening next but two nights of possible frosts didn't come but the 3rd night a light frost hit and burn some of my garden. The corn looks good and green but the greenbeans and cucumbers both have some black leaves. I considered covering the garden for 20 seconds but figured it would get windy and the neighborhood would be covered with newspaper.

Well, if they die (I'm sure some will) I can still plant more!

/ Frosted Beans, cucumbers etc #2  
What happened to global warming?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif We've been having near record low temperatures lately, for which I am most grateful!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Of course for us that means under 60 at night and 90 in the daytime. And I planted too much garden again; been giving onions, squash, cucumbers, and blackberries to anyone who'd take them, pulled, tied in bundles, and hung the onions day before yesterday. Need to cut cabbage, and pick squash, cucumbers, green beans, and blackberries today and my wife's already canned all the green beans we need for another year./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I hate to see good stuff go to waste, but can't hardly keep up with it. I think I'll just start calling neighbors this morning to see if I can't find some who want to come do some picking.

/ Frosted Beans, cucumbers etc #3  
Do you have any food banks, soup kitchens, or church programs in the area to help out with your problem?

/ Frosted Beans, cucumbers etc
After the frost a few cucmber, pumpkin and squash plants survived. We had plenty and actually about all we really needed.
The greenbeans are having a banner year. Lots of beans.
The corn is coming in now and is great but the birds/bugs are starting to enjoy the free meals.
Tomato plants, I set out 30 and have got thinkin' that's a lot of tomatos! Sure glad we have lots of family.
I'm really happy with my first garden but I have learned a lot this year, and next year should be just as interesting.