Frozen lug bolts

/ Frozen lug bolts #1  

sailorman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2320
On a 1973 small Tag -A - Long travel trailer. All 4 lug bolts on one wheel are frozen. Theses are not lug nuts that go on studs . They are bolts that actually screw into holes. So far I have tried wd40, liquid wrench soaking and a 3 foot extension pipe for leverage on tire iron along with light hammer taping on bolt heads. I can not tow it to a tire place due to a bad tire that I wouldn 't trust on even a 1/4 mile drive. I fear snapping bolt head off leaving remainder forever screwed in the hole. Suggestions ?

/ Frozen lug bolts #2  
Tried an impact wrench yet??? Can you see the ends of the bolts from the backside of the hub?? If you can, squirt more penetrating fluid from that direction, if you haven't already done so. Sometimes trying to work them backwards and forwards will help break them free.

/ Frozen lug bolts
Tried an impact wrench yet??? Can you see the ends of the bolts from the backside of the hub?? If you can, squirt more penetrating fluid from that direction, if you haven't already done so. Sometimes trying to work them backwards and forwards will help break them free.

Don 't own an impact wrench or know anyone who does. Bolts don 't go through to the back side. I forgot about the backward/forward thing and will try that.

/ Frozen lug bolts #4  
you might try pulling the wheel, hub and all, pull the seal and bearings out and put some heat to the hub around the bolts. not enough to get it red hot or warp the hub.
worst case scenerio will be break the bolt heads off to salvage the wheel, and replace the hub. In any case, be sure to replace the bolts as they'll be torque stressed, and use a little anti-sieze when reinstalling.

Also, are they perhaps left hand threads? if so loosen/tighten would be backwards from normal.

/ Frozen lug bolts #5  
Can't you remove the entire wheel and hub assembly. Just jack it up and place a jack stand under it for safety purposes. Then remove the grease cap from the hub, remove the cotter pin and unscrew the retaining nut. Then take it to the tire shop for repair.:thumbsup:

Jim

/ Frozen lug bolts #6  
Taking the whole assembly to tire shop is an idea, but you'd pay dearly for their time. Mounting a tire to a rim without being able to mount the thing on any kind of tire machine would be a challenge, but do-able.
I read an article that said a 50-50 mix of acetone and auto transmission fluid was the best penetrating oil. This was tried against many other penetrating oils, and reportedly this mix worked the best.
Good luck.
-Jay

/ Frozen lug bolts #7  
There is a solution 50/50 acetone and ATF that is supposed (tested proof) to be about 70X more effective in penetrating and loosening frozen bolts...

a torch usually does the trick if it can be used without any dangers...like heating a wheel with a tire mounted (never do that)

there are threads on both the topic of penetrants and the dangers of heating mounted wheels if anyone is interested in searching for them...

/ Frozen lug bolts #8  
by chance.. are they left hand nuts???

just a thought

/ Frozen lug bolts
CharlieS and Jim nice catch on removing the whole shabang. That will be the next thing I try if a good over night soak doesn 't help.

Charlie, if I break bolts off in holes, I doubt I would be able to find a replacement hub as this on is a real weird design. Axle isn 't even centered on hub and the whole rig was built in 1973. Way out of production even for replacement parts. Not even sure I can get lug bolts unless standards haven 't changed since 1973. Not a left handed thread 'cause I was able to get other weel off no problem. Unless they are lefties on one side and righties on the other. Has anything ever been made that way ?

Jim, can a tire place actually mount a tire on a wheel that also has the hub on it ? I guess even if they could I 'd be in trouble if I got a flat and had to change it. Bolts would still be frozen. Or did you suggest that in order for them to be able to use an impact wrench without me towing trailer ? If they have to use impact wrench to get hub off, then I run the risk of bolts snapping. But, I may have no choice in the matter.

/ Frozen lug bolts
There is a solution 50/50 acetone and ATF that is supposed (tested proof) to be about 70X more effective in penetrating and loosening frozen bolts...

a torch usually does the trick if it can be used without any dangers...like heating a wheel with a tire mounted (never do that)

there are threads on both the topic of penetrants and the dangers of heating mounted wheels if anyone is interested in searching for them...

I might try that also. No danger I think 'cause I would let all air out of tire before torching. But, isn 't wd40 and liquid wrench flammable ? I 've sprayed a lot of that and suppose I 'd have to get that cleaned off good. I 've got another wheel with new tire mounted to put on. Need to get the old tire and wheel off to replace tire and use for spare.