Frozen ramp on horse trailer help

/ Frozen ramp on horse trailer help #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
Hi, went to use my horse trailer for the first time this season and the back door, which is also the ramp is froze up really bad. We spent hours using PB Blaster and heating with a propane torch but it isn't down yet. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any advice is appreciated. It is a 1991 Sundowner Sportman if that makes any difference.

/ Frozen ramp on horse trailer help #2  
Soak down with PB Blaster every hour or so for two days. Don't use any heat as it just drives the lube out and bakes the corrosion hard. After you do get it loose, think about installing grease fittings so you can grease the hinges to prevent the highly corrosive horse "moisture" from getting into the hinges.

/ Frozen ramp on horse trailer help #3  
midlf said:
...highly corrosive horse "moisture" from getting into the hinges.

*LMAO* can't wait to use THAT one on the wifey....

First time this year? Mine is on the road almost weekly for one thing or another...

/ Frozen ramp on horse trailer help #4  
Roxynoodle - were you able to get the gate freed up?

/ Frozen ramp on horse trailer help
No, my neighbor, a welder is thinking of cutting it loose and rebuilding it.

It used to be on the road every week but I don't show much anymore. I was eventing but I have developed RA and I don't know how I will feel from one day to the next. One day I may be able to just grit my teeth and bear the pain and the next I may feel like I'm 85 with all my joints swollen. It was for this reason I bought a tractor. Now I can just put all the manure in the loader or use it to lift hay bales. No more heavy lifting everyday = happier RA inflicted horse owner!

The trailer was always cleaned meticulously after each use but I think snow piling up behind it this winter is the moisture that got in there. There is zero rot in the floor but the wood between the metal and the rubber mat on top of it in the ramp is rotten.