frozen wd 40

/ frozen wd 40 #11  
<font color="blue">Has anybody found the freeze point of WD-40? </font>

It isn't listed on the MSDS

/ frozen wd 40 #12  
I saw that, it lists everything else...LOL!

/ frozen wd 40
In regards to dad's gun that is recoil operated I know for a fact that it slowed down the friction ring below 20 degrees. In regards to the tractor who knows its a junky little 2000 ford that I use to set rolls out to the cows. I have had the hydr. freeze up below 10 degrees unless I stuck the prongs into the bale halfway up and let the pressure off. But think lately has been the lever itself. Sprayed wd and could barely move it . Could be because it sets outside. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warmed the gun up in the truck and functioned well from there on.

Patrick

/ frozen wd 40 #14  
I've always read that in really cold conditions you want to clean all of the oil out of your gun to prevent malfunctions.

/ frozen wd 40 #16  
WD-40 should freeze at the same point as K1 kerosene, since that is the major component of WD-40.
WD stands for water displacer, and the 40 is the number of the formulation when they finally got it to be what they wanted.
K1 kerosene brings under 2 bucks a gallon and works equally well in most situations.
Lubricating quality of WD-40 is close to none.
PB blaster blows the socks off WD-40 for penetration, and should NOT be used as a lubricant because it has NO lubricating propertys.

/ frozen wd 40
Franz thanks for the heads up about pb blaster and lubrication. It is a great penetrant I noticed when a buddy did some work on my truck. Kerosene, I suspected as much in the lubrication dept.

Patrick

/ frozen wd 40 #18  
I have to disagree on the PB Blaster not lubricating. I have never found a "penetrating oil" that didn't leave a film of oil. So I went out into the garage, and got my can of PB Blaster, and it says on the can that it "does not evaporate, it remains on the surface as a lubricant and rust inhibitor". I do agree that kerosene does not lube at all. It will dry to a dry feel and not do anything more after it is dry. Grew up useing that stuff in the oil lamps as a child, hey when it was all you had, it was pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ frozen wd 40 #19  
Oh yes Bill, I forgot mention, yes they do sell PB Blaster at Wal-Mart. It's in the automoble section, with additives and etc.

/ frozen wd 40 #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Grew up useing that stuff in the oil lamps as a child, hey when it was all you had, it was pretty good. )</font>

I guess we were too well off; had electric lights in the house from the time I was old enough to remember, but only in the house, so those kerosene lanterns sure saw a lot of use for nighttime fishing, milking the cow, and just going to the outhouse. And while they didn't put out as much light, I believe they were more reliable and less trouble than the later "white gas" and LPG lanterns.