Fruit Trees Planted

/ Fruit Trees Planted #11  
My only problem after planting fruit trees whitetail bucks like to rub there antlers on them enough so breaks branches.

/ Fruit Trees Planted
Lots of interesting thoughts. The grow tubes look like a good idea but since they cost more than my trees did, I'm going to depend on my wire fence cages. I also thought about something like an IBC tote with a drip irrigation system but I would have to get the water into it somehow. I need counterbalance to safely lift a full 55 gallon drum so I don't think I'm going to be moving full totes around. With only 10 spots to water, the 55 gallon drum works OK.

This first stage of the plot is pretty small. I've got 2 cherry trees, 4 apple trees, and 8 assorted blackberry and raspberry vines. The pollination will be covered if they all survive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm also starting a little landscape nursery with 10 evergreens, 5 redbuds and 5 dogwoods, which I will move to other locations on the property in a year or two if they thrive.

My biggest concern is deer but there are so many commercial orchards and farm fields around that I'm hoping to luck out.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #13  
My biggest concern is deer but there are so many commercial orchards and farm fields around that I'm hoping to luck out.

The problem with deer is the varied weather,,
you may get by for 5+ years, without a nibble,, then,, BANG, one dry year,, the deer eat EVERYTHING!!

After 35 years with the same shrubs, the deer ANNIHILATED them this past winter,,
the deer had trimmed them before,, but, this year,, it was devastation,,,

jR4YFCl.jpg

I had to replace 8 that had been there since 1982,,, I planted mostly holly types,, deer do not like to eat those.

You have to plan for the worst year, not the average year,,
the tubes sound expensive,, what is your effort,, and patience worth!!??

/ Fruit Trees Planted #14  
Are you guys using forks for the IBC

My brother plans to set on up using his Kubota RTV900

I'm thinking this is quite a load and he does have some steep areas plus the 900 isn't exactly a powerhouse.

I don't move them full. Only empty. I rigged mine up to catch rainwater in place.

I bought an old 1910 cottage in East Oakland with a decrepit Persimmon and Fig Tree... the fruit from both are highly sought after and the story is they came from Mission San Jose...

Have not noticed any spreading... maybe there are different varieties?

Maybe. Maybe the birds do it.

Around here mulberry is fairly rare and persimmons are sought after, are not in abundance but not rare.

I don't know of anybody that picks either. The Persimmons I know turn a bright orange, sized like an apricot or a little smaller. Maybe I should pick 'em and ship 'em? Earn my first million?

/ Fruit Trees Planted #15  
Lots of interesting thoughts. The grow tubes look like a good idea but since they cost more than my trees did, I'm going to depend on my wire fence cages. I also thought about something like an IBC tote with a drip irrigation system but I would have to get the water into it somehow. I need counterbalance to safely lift a full 55 gallon drum so I don't think I'm going to be moving full totes around. With only 10 spots to water, the 55 gallon drum works OK.

This first stage of the plot is pretty small. I've got 2 cherry trees, 4 apple trees, and 8 assorted blackberry and raspberry vines. The pollination will be covered if they all survive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm also starting a little landscape nursery with 10 evergreens, 5 redbuds and 5 dogwoods, which I will move to other locations on the property in a year or two if they thrive.

I think you're on the right track. You're doing things very similar to how I did mine. I still use the same fence like yours, even on larger trees for deer protection, only larger rings for the larger trees. Some of them I leave the fence off and allow the deer to pick their own apples. I've lost some trees and replaced them. I've settled on more peach trees and like the semi dwarf for easy care. But I have blueberries, raspberries, peaches, and apples in that area. The deer hang out there like it's the local bar.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #16  
There are two varieties Persimmons here and in the pioneer days they were a good late crop for vitamin C and kept well...

Persimmon Bread was always a favorite here.

The Mission Figs would generate about $800 per tree at the local farmers market... people really like the size, flavor and being able to be bought tree to table the same day...

The area with the new seedling Christmas Trees is rather remote... the thought was using the RTV900 and IBC to hand water until established... maybe the secret is not to fill the tote?

/ Fruit Trees Planted #17  
I think my new apple trees are pregnant. Won't exactly be a bumper crop since I only see about 20 or 30 of these across the dozen trees.

Apple1.jpg Apple2.jpg

/ Fruit Trees Planted
When I was a kid, persimmon trees were prized. They weren't planted a lot, but some people had them. Persimmon pudding was especially popular.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #19  
I see a building close by. Does it have electric? If so, a strand of electric fence around the trees makes a great deer deterrent. It helps tremendously with our garden.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #20  
Are you guys using forks for the IBC

My brother plans to set on up using his Kubota RTV900

I'm thinking this is quite a load and he does have some steep areas plus the 900 isn't exactly a powerhouse.

I use forks to move mine, that could be very exciting full on RTV.....

E67348BA-AC14-430F-8BC1-C53DF2A94134.jpeg