Frustrated in Maryland

/ Frustrated in Maryland #22  
Welcome aboard. My dream was always to own a farm on the Eastern shore, shorefront property of course..., and go boating when the farming was done.
Unfortunately real estate is seriously pricey there and several winning lottery tickets would have been needed. But one can dream.

I'm curious about the need for home fire sprinklers. Is this because of multiple occupancy? Please don't tell me MD is requiring sprinklers in single family homes now. Are they nuts?

/ Frustrated in Maryland #23  
If you live on the Eastern Shore or just about anywhere in the State you are feeling the effects of "Saving the Bay". For those that don't know it's the Chesapeake Bay.

You don't want to know what the farmers have to go through.

Even still I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Yes! Can't imagine what the state and feds rain down on farmers. And the save the bay efforts are like many human well meaning concepts- often causing more problems than what they originally sought to prevent. Is this the case on the Eastern Shore?

/ Frustrated in Maryland #24  
Yes! Can't imagine what the state and feds rain down on farmers. And the save the bay efforts are like many human well meaning concepts- often causing more problems than what they originally sought to prevent. Is this the case on the Eastern Shore?

They have tried for years to pin all the problems on the Farming community but thats starting to change since EPA has gotten into it. Each County has to have a nutrient reduction goal they have to meet in few years. A model was run taking agriculture out of the mix completely, I mean no agland at all, and it still doesn't come close to meeting the goal.

The State is targeting residential lawn fertilizing restrictions and they should. They have to now follow ag land restrictions as far as timing of application and a soil test. Starting 10/13 a Lawn Care operator has to pass an exam and be licensed by the state to apply fertilize.

Oh I forgot the granddaddy of them all, Nutrient Management for Ag Land. You have to only apply enough nutrients for your expected yield and you get fined for using too much. With the high cost of fertilze no farmer is going to waste it so nutrient management isn't a bad thing. They just feel like the Goverment is restricting their income potential.

Its an ongoing battle with the RiverKeepers and farmers.

Waterman are always butting heads with State Biologist over how to manage the Bays seafood industry.

To finally answer your question I think residential/commercial construction is probably the biggest pain to endure with all the red tape created by Saving the Bay.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a clean Bay. Everyone needs to contribute not just one or two groups.

Last edited: