Fuel additives

/ Fuel additives #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I've never had any gelling issues with my scut, although last year I used a cetone? booster which was billed as keeping injectors clean. I will be using my loader to clear driveway this year, as muscling around a heavy snow blower has been rough on my back.
If it gets really cold, like below 0, I will plug in block heater for a couple hours before. My question is this, are additives necessary? I buy off road diesel from a busy gas station with high turnover. If so, what do you recommend? I keep a bottle of red 911 on hand.

/ Fuel additives #2  
I used diesel kleen for the past 15 years, centane booster and anti-gel, but apparently there's a new one that is better, it's in the shop, I'll check when I go out. It's expensive though. I get off road diesel delivered and have never had an issue.

/ Fuel additives #3  
I've never had any gelling issues with my scut, although last year I used a cetone? booster which was billed as keeping injectors clean. I will be using my loader to clear driveway this year, as muscling around a heavy snow blower has been rough on my back.
If it gets really cold, like below 0, I will plug in block heater for a couple hours before. My question is this, are additives necessary? I buy off road diesel from a busy gas station with high turnover. If so, what do you recommend? I keep a bottle of red 911 on hand.
I have a hard time imagining a gas station with a high turnover of off-road diesel.
I normally use Power Service in the white bottle at the cold dose. I also physically blend my own fuel.
I had a 275 gallon tank down to about half this winter early and when I got fuel oil for the house had them put 100 gallons of #1 into that tractor tank. It had already been treated with Power Serve before it was blended and I added more just before they pumped in the #1.
I also keep as least 2 spare fuel filters on hand for each diesel, just in case I have problems. If the tractor is stored inside it will be better on it then being outside. Mine don't have the luxury of heated inside storage.
Heat is the best thing when they start to act up, even just heating the fuel filters will help considerably. Heat gun or very carefully with a torch.

Edited; I forgot to add I really dislike 911, I have used gasoline to desolve and clean paraffin from fuel filters a couple of times

/ Fuel additives #4  
I’ve used Power Service, Howes and have a bottle of Lucas now. I’ve had my tractor gel up three times using an additive so I’ve been adding kerosene now. In theory they should be adding kerosene to the pump fuel but the stations never have any idea what they are selling. I’m probably running around 20% kerosene now plus the Lucas additive. When my tractor gelled in the past it was always very cold for an extended time and I keep my tractor inside but it’s not heated.

/ Fuel additives
Most times I get my OR diesel, there is someone there, so that leads me to believe it is high volume.
And I buy 5 gals often, every 2 weeks, in non winter months. Around here, everyone has a tractor.

/ Fuel additives #6  
I also purchase OR from high volume station and treat with anti gel kinda like added insurance.

/ Fuel additives #7  
Real easy...get a small bottle or jar and put a fuel sample in it. Throw it in the freezer or outside, whichever is colder, and see if it stays clear after a day. I always treat my fuel and use #1 blend if needed. Stations here are mixing at 20% now and contractors are asking for 30%.

/ Fuel additives #8  
I don't risk fuel issues, and use PS White in the winter months. I also ensure I use up my summer blended fuel around November, and get (supposedly) winter blended fuel.

Don't count on the supplier. While high volume is a good sign, is not a guarantee of good fuel. I used the same high(ish) volume supplier for several years. I started having contamination problems clogging my filters, only to discover almost an inch of dirt, sand and small gravel in the bottom of my transfer tank that the intake tube was picking up.
You do not want to deal with gelled fuel.

Last edited:
   / Fuel additives #10  
When I got my first diesel tractor a few years ago it had been sitting, according to the seller, for 2 years without being started. Per advice here I bought some Power Service Diesel Kleen additive and started using it. Right away the engine smoked less and started faster. After about a year of use I stopped using the stuff and noticed no difference in smoke. I was told my injectors were probably dirty when I first got the tractor which is the reason for the smoke and the Diesel Kleen cleaned them. I then started using the stuff again after about 9 months just to see what would happen and even though the tractor didn't smoke any less it did start a little faster. The tractor, a 43 year old Yanmar YM2310, doesn't smoke a lot but it did when I first got it. Since the additive is so cheap to use and doesn't cause any harm I continue to use it. Though The only benefit I see is that it cleared up smoke right away and seems to make the tractor start faster. The tractor does not have a working Thermostart but still starts easily when the outside temp is in the low 40s. And the tractor is stored outside with just a high roof to keep the rain and snow off.
Eric