Fuel can modification

/ Fuel can modification #21  
^ I refit all my gas & diesel jugs with those snap open/shut vents after reading about them, here on TBN. I used a brad point drill bit and stopped drilling before the bit cut all the way through. Then I used a narrow, little X-acto blade to finish cutting the outside edge of the hole and popped the plug out as I got close to severing it completely.

/ Fuel can modification #22  
Yes there is a ball inside the metal piece on the end. You stick that end into the can and shake the hose for about 10 seconds. It acts like a one-way pump and starts the gas siphoning. I use it to fill the tractor, skid steer, zero turn, etc. It beats having to stand there and hold a 35 pound gas can and pour. It also means I don't care if the gas can has one of those new anti-spill spouts that are a pain in the arse to use. I really love the jiggle siphon.

I've never timed it but I would guess in might take about 3 - 4 minutes to empty a 5 gallon can. It empties all but maybe the last 1/2 inch or so of fuel in the can. You can put the hose down into one corner of the can and sit the can at an angle so that the fuel goes to that corner. But honestly, I don't worry about that last little bit of fuel and usually just add new fuel to the can when I go to the station. If I do want to get the last little bit out, I pour from the can into the tank and since it only weighs about a half pound to a pound or so it still makes easy work of it.

I picked my jiggle siphons up from Mills Fleet Farm. I keep one in the shop and one in the garage.

Thanks for the info!

/ Fuel can modification #23  
^ I refit all my gas & diesel jugs with those snap open/shut vents after reading about them, here on TBN. I used a brad point drill bit and stopped drilling before the bit cut all the way through. Then I used a narrow, little X-acto blade to finish cutting the outside edge of the hole and popped the plug out as I got close to severing it completely.

Now that is using your head!

/ Fuel can modification #24  
How long does the process take from the start (setting the can on the hood) to the finish of the 5 gallon delivery. And how far down does it siphon,? In otherwords how much is left in the can when the siphon stops? as for the jiggle siphon, does it actually fill the hose just by jiggling it up and down? Enquiring minds want to know:D

You can get at least two different sizes. The big one has a 1" ID and the small one has a 1/2 ID. The big one is supposed to run 10 gallon per minute and the small is supposed to run 5 gallon per minute. The big one takes pretty aggressive shaking to get it to flow. If a 5 gallon can is deep enough is should work, but I don't think the big one could self start in a less than full can. If you just let it set there it will leave about 3/4 inch in the bottom, but if you tip the can up on the corner when it is almost empty you can suck it almost dry.

/ Fuel can modification
I have the exact same cans as the OP and the exact same issue. Love the cans, but holding that button down kills your thumb. While I applaud your ingenuity on that, I just drilled a hole across through the 2 yellow tabs, right about where you mounted those screws to it, and stick a 3/16" drill bit through it to keep the button pressed down. Push the button down all the way - line up a spot to run the drill through, and poke the holes. Give it a little slack so it doesn't bind up. A whole lot easier than your method, as long as you have a drill bit handy ( I always fuel up in my shop, so drill bits always handy). I suppose i could tie a piece of steel rod to the can if I really wanted to keep it there all the time...

Only risk is overflowing if you misjudge how much space is in your tank, or a flood of diesel if the can gets knocked over or falls while pouring. Mine stays put nicely, so I can do other things while it fills. Though I always stay close just in case.

This was my first idea but I must be related to Rube Goldberg somehow. https://www.rubegoldberg.com/

/ Fuel can modification #26  
A lot of guys use a tire stem, with no valve. About the same price but available at auto parts stores.

/ Fuel can modification #27  
Awesome. The most popular bulkhead fitting there is. I searched far and wide for something like that, never thought of that one.

/ Fuel can modification #28  
Awesome. The most popular bulkhead fitting there is. I searched far and wide for something like that, never thought of that one.

Some guy on youtube showed how to use a tire stem as a gas can vent from start to finish. Best tip was using a piece of wire threaded through the vent hole and the large opening to get the stem to the inside of the small opening.

/ Fuel can modification #29  
I was thinking of using a 16 penny nail and then remember one of the nice features of these cans is being able to stop the flow immediately...

I only do this on the 5 gal diesel cans that feed my tractor. I know I am going to empty the entire can, and it takes a few minutes to do that, so it is worth it to me. I would never do it on one of my small mix cans for the chainsaw as that fills up in about 5 seconds. You want to be able to shut those off fast.

/ Fuel can modification #30  
Or you can just go to tractor supply and buy one of these.