Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert.

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #41  
Whether it is a myth or not, when I was fueling the car last night, I noticed a sign saying no cell phones had been placed on each pump.

Steve

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #42  
I often wonder if it's because of the cell phone distraction that they post the signs. G

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #43  
Perhaps this is a myth started by the gas-n-go type of stores to keep people from hanging out talking on cell phones and tying up the pumps.

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #44  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( usualy tho if i do get something in a chain letter that i want to send on to others, i copy and paste it to a new email rather than continue the chain of addresses )</font>
Mark, that's the only way to go! I just wish more people would think to do that, as I really hate clicking fwd, fwd, fwd over and over before finally getting to the attachment. I just delete when they come that way now. John

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #45  
I realize that I am coming into this thread real late, but I wanted to point something out. I own a Shell station in Saint Joseph Michigan. Shell did indeed issue a warning to all of its Jobbers. My jobber passed the warning on to me. The warning did indeed mention the three fires related to cell phones. But what it stressed more than that was that in all three cases those people had gotten back into and then out of their cars. They suspected it was the creation of static (probably not, but possibly related to the phones) that caused the problem.

Jeff

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #46  
Jeff,

Thats the problem. An accident occures and a policeman / fireman/firemarshal needs to write down a cause for a report.
In many cases its very hard to prove exactly what happened.
So in some cases the "cause" is basically a wild a^& guess.

So shell covers their tail by saying cellphones should not be used.

My money is on the static in all these cases that are allegedly cell phone related.

Fred

/ Fuel Dispensing Pump Mobile Phone Safety Alert. #47  
Fred,

I agree. The "memo" that Shell put out did not place ay blame on the cell phones, and where it did mention them it was definitly a c.y.o.s kind of thing. My money is on static discharge from dry pavement and ungrounded human flesh. I was just trying to settle the discussion as to whether or not such a memo existed. As for gas...hey it's flammable..go figure.

Jeff