Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1  

sparker133

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Deere 4320 cab, 180 loader, 485 backhoe, 2021 Deere 1023e, Vermeer trencher, 2022 Deere 26g
Today I changed the fuel filter on my farmall 45. It is right above the oil filter covered by lines. Also I have a FEL which also blocks the fuel filter even more.

I had a heck of time getting it apart and putting it back together.

Does anybody have any helpful hints, trick or tools they came up with to make it easier to change.

I changed all filters to does any body know a cheaper source for the filters. Napa wanted 36 dollars for the trans filter and the did not have the hydraulic filter.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #2  
Maybe you could reposition your fuel filter to a different location.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #3  
Drop your loader. You will be suprised how quick it is after a few times. Also use a long handle screw driver turn the filter nut. It is a pain. notice how they lable the on/off for the fuel.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking off my loader won't do anything to help. It is a l350 loader and the arms that are mounted to the frame is in the way.

Using a screw driver is how i took it of and put it back on. I was hoping there was a easier way.

Good thought about moving the filter I will have to look and see if it is possible.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #5  
I change probably 30 fuel filters on NH Class III compacts each year. With a little practice, it's not a big deal unless the tractor has a cab AND loader. Make sure the fuel line clamps are oriented so as not to interfere with the bowl nut, and change the fuel filter at each engine oil change, while the oil filter is off.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #6  
The fuel filter on my 4010 is difficult to get to as well. What I do is detach it (with a single 12 mm bolt) from where it's anchored and swivel it up (flex lines to and from it) to where I can easily remove the glass and filter. Then reattach to where it's anchored.

Can you do something like this on your 45?

Ralph

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #7  
I change probably 30 fuel filters on NH Class III compacts each year. With a little practice, it's not a big deal unless the tractor has a cab AND loader. Make sure the fuel line clamps are oriented so as not to interfere with the bowl nut, and change the fuel filter at each engine oil change, while the oil filter is off.
Rick, I'm curious as to how you remove and tighten the filter bowl nut. I use a large Channel Lock pliers or a screw driver as mentioned, but I am wondering if there is a better way. What tool do you use?
Thanks. Mark

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #8  
Rick, I'm curious as to how you remove and tighten the filter bowl nut. I use a large Channel Lock pliers or a screw driver as mentioned, but I am wondering if there is a better way. What tool do you use?
Thanks. Mark

Either a tap with a long screwdriver as mentioned, or my oil filter pliers are a good fit and I usually have them out and at hand. Actually, the fuel filter bowl nut doesn't have to be more than hand tight anyway, but I don't have the grip I used to, so the filter pliers often get used.

/ Fuel filter location on my Farmall 45 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! #9  
Either a tap with a long screwdriver as mentioned, or my oil filter pliers are a good fit and I usually have them out and at hand. Actually, the fuel filter bowl nut doesn't have to be more than hand tight anyway, but I don't have the grip I used to, so the filter pliers often get used.
Thanks Rick. The oil filter pliers are a good idea. Not that I ever had great hand strength, but my grip is not what is used to be either. Where I used to hand tighten things, now I add an extra tweak with a wrench to snug things up.