fuel filter schedule

/ fuel filter schedule
My transfer tank is a 5-gallon gas can. The only diesel I presently own is a 33 hp tractor, and even that is operating near idle RPM most of the time. I'd guess I use less than 50 gallons of diesel per year!

Gasoline... different story. My vehicles and mower are all much more thirsty machines, than the tractor.

/ fuel filter schedule #12  
If you want to really know the status of a fuel filter, install a vacuum gauge. I added a vacuum gauge to the Racor filter on my tractor, and it generally starts out at 1.5 - 2.0 inches of Mercury (I think that is the scale used). At 10" Hg it's time to replace the filter.
We seem to dance to the same drummer on fuel filtering but I don't have a vacuum gage (probably should have however). I just observe the clear bowl on the bottom of the Racor and drain accordingly. I have not changed the OEM filter(s) since I installed the Racor. No need to. The Racor filters down to 5 microns which is well below what the OEM filters are at (15 microns). Best money I ever spent. In fact (again), all new common rail ECM controlled Kubota's are coming from the factory with a Racor clone now. Says Kubota on the element but it sure looks like a Racor to me, right down to the clear spin on bowl and I believe Kubota offers the 12 volt mullion heat plug as well. One advantage to the clear bottom bowl is, if your fuel is gelling, you can see that instantly, unlike the somewhat opaque housing that contains the secondary filter and water ring that you cannot see easily. Up here, gelling is always an issue in the winter without using some sort of additive. Myself, I use Power Service winter additive. The cloud point on ULSD isn't that far below 32 degrees.

/ fuel filter schedule #13  
The mere fact that you are asking the question puts you way ahead of many operators!
You are careful about fuel handling and freshness.
I would think the 400 hour interval will be fine!
Good Luck!

/ fuel filter schedule
The mere fact that you are asking the question puts you way ahead of many operators!
You are careful about fuel handling and freshness.
I would think the 400 hour interval will be fine!
Good Luck!
Thanks. It's been 115 hours since it was replaced this time last year. I think based on all the feedback here, I will skip it this year, and re-evaluate next year. The separator bowl is clear plastic, and I see no water or debris in there, so I think we're safe. Even if I do it just every second year, that's still saving me time and money, and more importantly wear and tear on all of those components getting disassembled and reassembled every year.

/ fuel filter schedule #15  
The fuel filter in my truck hasn't been changed in over 100k+ and
no problems. I would change it if I was having problems

willy

/ fuel filter schedule
The fuel filter in my truck hasn't been changed in over 100k+ and
no problems. I would change it if I was having problems

willy
I've always pretty much followed recommended maintenance schedules on all my machines. I have a huge spreadsheet that tracks every maintenance item on every machine, and each year at this time I use that to tell me what's due and what filters and fluids to buy.

Fuel filters are marked as "yearly" in pretty much every manual for every machine I own, so I must replace more than a half dozen per year. Most are cheap little $1 inline 1/4" barb things, so I never really gave it much thought, but the pair of OEM fuel filters for the 3033R are $80.

But to your point, I can't even remember the last time I changed any fuel filter in any on-road vehicle.

/ fuel filter schedule #18  
I live in a dry climate. Algae doesn't seem to be a issue. I believe I had over 1000 hours on mine before I changed it. If I didn't live in a dry climate I think it would be a different story.

/ fuel filter schedule #19  
My two Kubota's fuel filters last much longer after I bought a 50 gallon cube with a 10 micron filter on it.

It's sold now, but I had to change the fuel filter on my 1997 Dodge diesel at about 12k miles. One time a screwed up and didn't change it until 20k and the filter was so dirty it was collapsing.

/ fuel filter schedule #20  
I would wait till 400 hours. I don't remember the last time I changed my fuel filters. My fuel is filtered 2x before it gets to the tractors....
Exactly. It all depends on your fuel. I buy diesel at the same place we fill our cars - and probably pay a premium for the privilege. Use dedicated 5 gallon containers, so I can see inside and I don't use the dregs. Pour it through a filter into the tractor. And I use a winter anti-gel additive year round.

I don't remember the last time I changed fuel filters in the Kubota.... ten years ago at least. Filter looks clear and clean.

When we bought our construction machine - a JD310 with 6000 hours - it required several filter changes and draining the bottom of the fuel tank before it would run reliably. Luckily, on commercial equipment changing the fuel filter is quicker, easier, and cheaper than on homeowner tractors. And the fuel tank has a bottom drain specifically for cleaning dirt and water out of the tank.