Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series

/ Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Today my TC45DA quit like it was out of fuel. I pulled the line from the tank off the filter and nothing run out. I used a compressor at the fuel cap and tried to get fuel to flow wi no luck. Then I blew from the line I took off the filter back to the tank and that got fuel flowing. So I must have junk inside the fuel tank that blocked the line.

With it running fine again I was watching the fuel filter to make sure it didn’t get blocked again. However, I noticed that fuel filter only was staying at about half full is that correct?

How much fuel is in your fuel filter when you’re running hard like heavy bush hogging?

Last edited:
   / Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series #2  
If you didn't bleed the fuel system after, I would do that.
The fuel filters on all of my diesels are full.

/ Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series
If you didn't bleed the fuel system after, I would do that.
The fuel filters on all of my diesels are full.
I was pulling a 9.5’ Woods C114 bushhog before and after the line plugged up and I cut at least five acres after that and it maintained that level of fuel in the filter that entire time.

I don’t think it needs bleeding based on how it ran afterwards which was the same as before the incident.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3408.jpeg
    IMG_3408.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
   / Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series #4  
Pinch off the vent line on the top of the filter base. See what that does for keeping the filter bowl full. Better yet, just snip the hose and put a plug of some sort in both open ends. If you notice an improvement I can explain why.

Pinch off the vent line on the top of the filter base. See what that does for keeping the filter bowl full. Better yet, just snip the hose and put a plug of some sort in both open ends. If you notice an improvement I can explain why.
I’m all ears for the why!

/ Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series #6  
It's quite simply really. The vent line connects the top of the filter base to the injector return line with a free flow to the top of the fuel tank. The supply pump is pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter and pushing it to the injector pump. You already know you have (or had) a problem with fuel getting out of the tank and into the filter. Once that starts and the supply pump has trouble getting an adequate supply of fuel it will start pulling air from the vent line and the filter won't stay full.

Thanks

I saw that in this previous thread.

I’ll try clamping off the vent line that exits the top of the fuel filter.

I wonder if a 3/16” fuel line shutoff valve would work to stop flow of air from the vent line?

I’m also thinking about putting a shutoff valve on the supply line from the tank so that when I unplug it I don’t lose so much diesel.

Last edited:
   / Fuel Filter TC45DA/ TC Series #9  
Waste of money. I just use a piece of scrap 3/16 rod, like from an old battery hold down J bolt, cut off two pieces about an inch long and stuff that into the hose.

I cut and blocked off the line that goes from the top of the fuel filter and tees into the return line. It runs great and the filter bowl stays full now.

Question what size is the main fuel supply line from tank to filter highlighted in the attached picture.

I want to put a shutoff valve in that line.

Also where does that line connect directly to the fuel tank and is it that connection point accessible?

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited: