FUEL FROM WATER .

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / FUEL FROM WATER . #1  

Eagleview

Veteran Member
To stop crashing another thread , I have started this one .

It seems people don't believe a car can run on water . I was a bit shocked at this , I thought it was general knowledge they can .

What part is not believable ?

1/ That Hydrogen cannot be separated from water easily ?

2/ Enough Hydrogen cannot be supplied to feed an engine ?

3/ That H2O cannot be converted to HHO ?

4/ All of the above ?

5/ Other ?

Please keep it short so we can all read and understand your reply , no posts that exceed War & Peace' word count .

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #2  
Nobody has ever said you can't separate O2 and H2 from water. Nobody has ever said you can't used H2 to fuel an engine.

What they have said is it is very expensive and far, far from being practical.

BTW...water isn't a fuel. It is the product of combustion.

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #3  
The water coming right out of my spigot is a lot less $ than gasoline, so why aren't cars readily available to run on it?

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #4  
It's a school kid's experiment to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Just about any internal combustion engine will run on hydrogen and oxygen. I believe BMW? has some concept model internal combustion hydrogen vehicles.

Is it practical though? No, not as of today. The energy required to split that water is much, much more than you get back from the engine. It's like ethanol - it takes more energy to create a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of ethanol has in it.

The other problem is that hydrogen is EXTREMELY explosive...no, not like gasoline explosive, like dynomite explosive. It's not something for the average DIY'er to play with.

Fuel cells make much, much more sense, and the technology is already here. The hydrogen and water combine to make electricity directly without an engine. Why hasn't this caught on more? Because there is no easy or safe source of hydrogen as of yet. And again, you get less out than you put in to make it.

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #5  
To illustrate that the concept works, I have a potato gun that "runs" on water. You fill the lower chamber with water and hook it up to a battery to split the water for a few minutes. After enough hydrogen and oxygen have built up a spark goes off, igniting the whole thing and sending the potato god knows how far. Just like the piston in an engine moving down.

The sound this thing makes when it goes off puts my .44 magnum to shame. It's painful to my ears even WITH hearing protection...

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #6  
Fuel cells make much, much more sense, and the technology is already here. The hydrogen and water combine to make electricity directly without an engine. Why hasn't this caught on more? Because there is no easy or safe source of hydrogen as of yet. And again, you get less out than you put in to make it.

You summed up 1 of the problems with fuel cells right here.

Is it practical though? No, not as of today. The energy required to split that water is much, much more than you get back from the engine. It's like ethanol - it takes more energy to create a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of ethanol has in it.

Other issues include the infrastructure to produce hydrogen assuming it was cost effective and distribution.

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #7  
To illustrate that the concept works, I have a potato gun that "runs" on water. You fill the lower chamber with water and hook it up to a battery to split the water for a few minutes. After enough hydrogen and oxygen have built up a spark goes off, igniting the whole thing and sending the potato god knows how far. Just like the piston in an engine moving down.

The sound this thing makes when it goes off puts my .44 magnum to shame. It's painful to my ears even WITH hearing protection...

sure hope that thing's not made of PVC pipe!!!!

/ FUEL FROM WATER .
6-8 mpg increase on a Police SUV using nothing but water . That's probably about a 50% increase in fuel mileage .

Small engines can run solely on HHO .

This extremely expensive technology that has been spoken of is all bull , a jam jar with a spiral of Stainless wire or a bit of Stainless mesh with 12 volts DC running through it can create enough HHO to run a small engine and greatly supplement a large engine . As time goes on and the tech gets better , who knows what results may be achieved or have already been achieved and covered up ?

YouTube - SHOCK! Police Uses Water Instead of Gas for All Cars

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #9  
6-8 mpg increase on a Police SUV using nothing but water . That's probably about a 50% increase in fuel mileage .

Small engines can run solely on HHO .

This extremely expensive technology that has been spoken of is all bull , a jam jar with a spiral of Stainless wire or a bit of Stainless mesh with 12 volts DC running through it can create enough HHO to run a small engine and greatly supplement a large engine . As time goes on and the tech gets better , who knows what results may be achieved or have already been achieved and covered up ?

Every few years from long, long ago we've been treated to some variation of the conspiracy theory. It always goes something like this: "A scientist came up with a way to run cars on water and the big oil company bought it up and silenced the poor soul just so they could keep it off the market."

Then the scientific explanation goes something like: "water is made from hydrogen and, if we can get that secret, we can pour water in our gas tanks and put the oil companies out of business. Unfortunately they have all the money and power, so we can't. They are really ripping us off!"

Another one is "put a cow magnet on the fuel line to align the molecules in the fuel and increase the mileage".

All I can say is, show me a working model that comes close to the claims made, then I'll be favorably impressed. Until then, try studying physics and checking out the stories before getting too wrapped up in them. Look at how much energy it takes to produce the gain. How is it controlled to feed the engine at various throttle positions, or just look at the source of the story and work backwards to it's source.

I'm afraid that the people who don't believe a normal car can run on water and get a 50% increase in mileage, with a simple electrolyzing apparatus, just might know something after all. Show us.

/ FUEL FROM WATER . #10  
People have the mistaken idea that electricity produced by the alternator is free. It's actually some of the most expensive electricity we use. The more electricity it produces
the more horsepower it takes to turn it. If you put a solar panel on the roof of your car you will do much better.

Lets say your car engine is 25% efficient, your alternator is 95% efficient, and your electrolysis process is 50% efficient. Multiply the efficiencies and you get 12%. So for every 100 BTUs of thermal energy you get from burning engine fuel you get an amount of HHO that will produce 12 BTUs when burned. In other words it takes more than 7BTU's of fuel for every BTU of HHO fuel generated. The HHO is just another combustion fuel and your engine is still only 25% efficient running it.

A 30 year old named Sadie Carnot figured it out in 1824.

Status
Not open for further replies.