Fuel Gage Quit Working

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
I've got a BX1860 and the fuel gage just quit working. It reads full or almost full all the time. Any thoughts on what to look for or how to troubleshoot and repair??

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #2  
Sounds like the float is stuck.

First thing I'd do, before taking anything apart, is to get a diesel algaecide and pour some into the tank and wait 24 hours. Sometimes algae growth can cause this.

If that don't work, only way is to take the fuel float out and fiddle with it.

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #3  
Go to this site and download a free workshop manual

Index of Kubotabooks/Tractor Owners Manuals/

Go to page 279 out of 361 and start reading on how to test the fuel gauge.

You need a multi meter but you can find them for around $10.

Dave M7040

Attachments

• forum BX1860 1.jpg
    forum BX1860 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 101
   / Fuel Gage Quit Working
Thanks for the help guys. I downloaded all the info and I now know how to test the sending unit etc. But has anyone looked at what you have to do to get at the sending unit! If there is an easy way to get at that area of the fuel tank I sure would like to know the trick. Has anyone done this on a BX1860?

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #5  
Try getting resistance readings where it is easy to get to such as at the gauge or wiring harness

I do not know the BX fuel tank but my first attempt would be to see if I could hook the sending unit with a wire through the tank neck and see if I could move the float and take resistance readings while raising the float.

Failing that, I would drain the tank, check the resistance and then fill with measured amounts to see if the resistance changes as it should.
I would leave removing the sending unit until you determine it is the fault.

Dave M7040

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #6  
Easy way to check if it's the gauge or sending unit is to. Get a jumper wire, ground one end then turn the key on, JUST tap the sending unit wire with the jumper wire. If gauge is good it well jump to full, that also checks the wire. If reading full you have to unhook the sending unit wire and gauge goes to E then it's the sending unit. You can do this at the sending unit or the gauge.

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working
Thanks again guys. I'll have to find that connector I noticed on the wiring diagram and I can then do the testing from there.

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #8  
I've got a BX1860 and the fuel gage just quit working. It reads full or almost full all the time. Any thoughts on what to look for or how to troubleshoot and repair??

Hey bill, just curious but did the fuel gauge go to full after you filled it? Why I ask is that a couple of times when I filled my B3030 I put diesel in almost to the cap. Obviously the gauge went to full but then I noticed after using the tractor the fuel gauge needle never went down. So I ended up taking a coat hanger piece of wire to insert into the tank and jiggle the fuel float which then dropped down lower in the tank. Apparently when I put so much fuel in the float got stuck in the up position. So now I try to be more careful so I don't overfill the tank. This may not apply in your case but I figure I'd throw this suggestion out to you, maybe this will work. Good luck, Stanley

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #9  
I have a bx2200. They seem to be notorious for having unreliable fuel level indicators.

Being who I am, I just look in an see what the level is. If I can not see anything I am sure to add fuel quickly. I ran out of fuel once, but think that was before I learned not to trust the gage.

Works for me and takes little effort. I think my bx is about 15 years old now.

Bill

/ Fuel Gage Quit Working #10  
I top mine off before I put it away. Keeps moisture out.