Fuel gallon counter

/ Fuel gallon counter #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
Anyone here had any good experiences regarding accuracy with fuel gallon meters on hand pumps?

/ Fuel gallon counter #2  
They are all too expensive for my blood. For my infrequently used hand pump I measured the cranks per gallon, and just use that.
For my electric transfer pump, I estimate the fuel based on the machine's fuel gauge.

/ Fuel gallon counter #3  
My fuel pump has a flow meter built in. I never use it. I never even reset it. Not sure why I would need to.

/ Fuel gallon counter #4  
They are all too expensive for my blood. For my infrequently used hand pump I measured the cranks per gallon, and just use that.
For my electric transfer pump, I estimate the fuel based on the machine's fuel gauge.
If I needed to measure gallons, I would get John McClane and Zeus Carver out of "Die Hard III",,
They seem to be able to accurately measure gallons,,

/ Fuel gallon counter #5  
I put one on my 55 gallon tank, got tired of trying to guess when to fill it up. Mine has electric pump though, not hand pump

/ Fuel gallon counter #6  
I have a aluminum yardstick next to my 50 gal cube. I clean the yardstick put it in the tank and take measurement. I came up with 2.35

gallons per inch. May not be perfect, but very close.

/ Fuel gallon counter #7  
I have a aluminum yardstick next to my 50 gal cube. I clean the yardstick put it in the tank and take measurement. I came up with 2.35

gallons per inch. May not be perfect, but very close.

I stick my 55g diesel drum also, but use 1/2" PVC pipe and a tape measure.

/ Fuel gallon counter
The reason for my asking is because I have a choice of tractors to use on the 40 acre field. Am I better to pull the the harrow or mow with the 60HP 584 at 1400 RPM or the 2550 at 2300 RPM. What does it cost me in fuel to do different tasks. If it costs me 5 more gallons to use one than the other then I am looking at $25 at today's prices. If it is a break even, then comfort it is.

I think we all know that fuel gauges give an approximate level, tank shape can add to inaccuracy. This is especially evident in my 584 with a 30 gallon tank and two five gallon "sumps" connected by a balancing tube. First half lasts forever, second half gone really quickly.

I have a 500 gallon in ground tank so a stick is a little awkward and less accurate than a 55 gallon drum.

/ Fuel gallon counter #9  
I tried the stick method….to much effort for my lazy butt. This is my counter. Made by Fill-rite. It turns on and counts automatically when fuel flows, shuts off auto also. Has resettable functions showing current flow, total flow. I just refilled it last week so i reset current to zero.
3F649582-4F03-4F77-B3DA-FDDC03BC33A4.jpeg
F808AF24-6F38-40F2-8ADA-181C2508A2B1.jpeg

Last edited: