Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else?

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #1  

TroySD

Bronze Member
New Holland Boomer 35. When I first got it the gauge seemed accurate as can be. Now the last two tanks have read basically 1/4 tank and the tractor runs our of power. Didn't think much of it until it has now happened the 2nd time. Haven't ran it completely out but, I'm not fond of running it till it sputters.

Any ideas? Anyone else ran into the same thing?

Thanks!

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #2  
New Holland Boomer 35. When I first got it the gauge seemed accurate as can be. Now the last two tanks have read basically 1/4 tank and the tractor runs our of power. Didn't think much of it until it has now happened the 2nd time. Haven't ran it completely out but, I'm not fond of running it till it sputters.

Any ideas? Anyone else ran into the same thing?

Thanks!

the only way to fix your fuel gauge is to take the tractor to the dealer an have it replaced.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #3  
G'day Troy have you tried to dip the tank when it say's 1/4 to see how much is still in there? You may have a problem with a cracked pickup allowing the pump to suck air but still have a 1/4 tank.

Jon

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #4  
My iPad version won't give your location but does the SD stand for South Dakota? If so, we're your first tanks in warmer weather? Diesel doesn't flow as well cold so the colder weather means its a tougher job to get enough fuel through the system. Here in Northern MN we keep our tanks at least half full in the winter. Just a thought as a possibility on yours because you talk about power drop, not stalling. I have run my current CUT out of fuel once when I thought I had the fuel for the 8 mile drive home but ended up 1/2 mile short. No loss of power, sputter, or anything like that. Went from running good to dead. But I have had filters plugging on my CUT and our large ag tractors and they act like what you describe.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else?
Well I'm guessing,since it took about a can and a half of fuel and the sound the tank made when I tapped on it with a pliers before I filled....i was out of fuel. I'll just learn to live with it. When warmer weather comes around I might pull the sending unit to see if there is an obvious problem but, minor details for me.

Thanks for the thoughts!

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #6  
My fuel gauge is and always has been good untill I get to the 1/2 way mark then all bets are off:confused2:.
So once I notice the 1/2 mark I fill it.. I also dip it before I fill to let me know how much fuel I need to get (this is for convineance only) For a dip I ripped a pice of maple 1"X1/4"X 16" I then measured the depth of the tank and notched the dip at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #7  
"So once I notice the 1/2 mark I fill it"

I consider 1/4 tank to be on "E".

My gauge was never accurate. It measures "F" when the fuel is about to spill over the fill tube.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #8  
i had the same problem with mine.i bought a int 2500 and the gauge wasn't working so i pulled the sending unit,the brass float had a hole in it.i bought a universal unit which was a lot cheaper than the international one,i/2 price.it works great,love it.make sure you have a good ground.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #9  
I always thought "accurate fuel gauge" was an oxymoron kind of like "responsible government" or "civil servant" :D:D My old Massey 135 came with two fuel guages -- one was in the dash and the accurate one was a stick wired to the hood :thumbsup:

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #10  
Mine became inaccurate after 2 tanks also. Found out how to bleed air out of the fuel system though, after I ran out once. I thinks its the sending unit float rubbing on the side of the plastic tank. One of these days I'll pull it and give it an adjustment. In the mean time, I open the cap, tap on the back of the tank, re-install cap. Next time, it reads accurately -for a little while.