Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else?

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #11  
My gauge is off too. It was on empty for a long time before it ran out:eek:

Dean

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #12  
My gauge must be accurate. I've got over 100 hours on it and just the other day I ran it until it was using fumes to run. The gauge indicated this as well but it didn't kill. I filled it just in time.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #13  
You guys were speaking of dip sticks to check your tanks. I keep one to check my bulk tank. It is the bottom half of a 9' two piece fishing rod that I somehow lost the top half. It is about 4.5 feet long and perfect for rodding my tank. Just a wipe down with paper towel when finished and I hang it back on the wall for next time. Diesel doesnt hurt it and it doesnt absorb into it like a wooden stick and really easy to see where the wet shiny surface is when I pull it out. Just my little tip for measuring. Perhaps one day I will get the old calculator out to figure out inches per gallon and then I can mark my measure stick in inches. This would be one of those "I dont have a thing to do today so what can I do" days.
Maybe easier to mark the tank and then just hold the stick up to see where if falls. DUH>

Last edited:
   / Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #14  
I have a 9 gallon tank with a 4 gallon fuel gauge :mad: When it first says "E", I have about 5 more hours of fuel in it (guessing). ...and maybe not a good guess since I've ran it dry twice. :p

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #15  
According to owners manual I have a 5 gallon tank.
Fuel gauge stays on full until it is to about 1/2.
When it says 1/2 or less, it seems to be accurate when refilled.
Have never run it lower than 1/4. But the times I filled it at 1/4,
it took 3/4 of a 5 gallon can to fill it.

Until something changes, I'm not inclined to tear anything apart
or spend any unnecessary money...... At this time anyway.

Older (1987) JD855 compact.

Good luck

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #16  
It's going to depend on the design of your tank. My Massey has a tank with '2 side lobes' that are lower than the main tank.

When mine shows 'half', my tractor will run out of fuel, on an uphill grade, if leaning to the right side.

I live on a hill, and had to do the 'walk of shame', after running out of fuel............

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #17  
New Holland Boomer 35. When I first got it the gauge seemed accurate as can be. Now the last two tanks have read basically 1/4 tank and the tractor runs our of power. Didn't think much of it until it has now happened the 2nd time. Haven't ran it completely out but, I'm not fond of running it till it sputters.

Any ideas? Anyone else ran into the same thing?

Thanks!

yep.. my gmc yukon does the same. had it back to the dealer 3 times to fix, including 1 dealer recall, and 2 pay-to-fix/repalce jobs.

still don't work.. have to use the odometer too tell when i need to put fuel in it.

i just chalk it up to usual quality I expect from gm equipment :( hope they aren't making parts for NH tractors now.. that would really bite.... ;)

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #18  
Car manufacturers can make very accurate gauges but choose not to because, apparently, customers like to think they are getting better mileage than they are by having the gauge go down slowly at first and then they usually fill up not long after the gauge goes below half. I would prefer an accurate gauge.

Good luck with your diagnosis.

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #19  
My gauge is busted too. I keep putting fuel in the tank, and that gets it back 'F' for awhile, but then over time it keeps going down and down - until i put more fuel in it. Then it's the same thing all over again...

:D

/ Fuel Gauge Inaccurate, Anyone Else? #20  
You guys were speaking of dip sticks to check your tanks. I keep one to check my bulk tank. It is the bottom half of a 9' two piece fishing rod that I somehow lost the top half. It is about 4.5 feet long and perfect for rodding my tank. Just a wipe down with paper towel when finished and I hang it back on the wall for next time. Diesel doesnt hurt it and it doesnt absorb into it like a wooden stick and really easy to see where the wet shiny surface is when I pull it out. Just my little tip for measuring. Perhaps one day I will get the old calculator out to figure out inches per gallon and then I can mark my measure stick in inches. This would be one of those "I dont have a thing to do today so what can I do" days.
Maybe easier to mark the tank and then just hold the stick up to see where if falls. DUH>

Just put your dimensions into the linked strapping chart and mark your stick.