fuel gauge

/ fuel gauge #1  

tommytaz

Tractor
BX2660
bought used Bx2660 Kubotareal nice tractor but can't get fuel gauge working any ideas?

/ fuel gauge #2  
Since I see no troubleshooting information I'll ask - did the prior owner say it worked? How much fuel is actually in the tank? Have you checked the fuses?

/ fuel gauge
didn't pay attention to the fuel gauge until ALL of the big work was done, We keep it always full. Sorry to not give more info, IS there a separate fuse for the fuel pump? We changed all the fuses in the fuse box.
Used test light to check for power at sending unit- Shows no power at sending unit. Checked with test light at dash gauge did not appear to have power there either

/ fuel gauge #4  
Does the temperature gauge work (if there is one)? On some equipment the gauges run from a lower voltage power supply rather than being fed twelve volts. Lacking a schematic I obviously don't know how your sending unit and gauge are powered. There is also the possibility rodents have been snacking under the hood.

/ fuel gauge #5  
Fuel gauge senders (and most oil pressure and water temperature senders) supply a ground to the gauge. You should not be able to measure power at the sender when it is connected.

To check the sender, you measure resistance to ground with a meter. 0 ohms should be either 100% full or 100% empty with the harness disconnected. Usually 60 or 90 ohms is full or empty. A half full tank should measure around 30 to 50 ohms.

If you ground the sender wire, the gauge should swing to either full or empty depending on how the system was designed.

These checks should narrow the problem to either the sender or gauge. If both check out, it may be a broken wire in the harness between the two.

/ fuel gauge #6  
On the BX I owned it took a while before it moved, maybe had to burn 1/3 of a tank. They also had some where the sending unit rusted but I don’t know if yours is new enough that might not have happened.

/ fuel gauge #8  
As a general rule, "most" fuel and temperature gauge when you have open circuit between gauge and sender or defective sender (open) will go full scale to "Full" or "Hot"... A grounded sensor lead or shorted out sensor will generally hold fuel gauge at "empty" or if temperature "cold"....

If you disconnect sensor lead at sender does anything change.... If you ground sensor lead does gauge reading change?

Did you do a voltage test on rear of gauge to see if you are actually getting voltage (12V) to gauge? Anything else on dashboard not working?

Dale

/ fuel gauge
just used test light couldn't get fuel gauge to move, cold /hot gauge does work removed lead from sender and shows no power going to it check wire on back instrument panel no power we saw it on tractor house from internet photos from Moore farm store in Indiana good honest people to deal with, found out after purchase floor was rotted out sent new mat and floor pan no charge could have just said you bought it's your problem but they didn't if ever have chance to buy anew one even though two states away will buy from them, thanks for any help tommytaz53