Oil & Fuel Fuel Leak

/ Fuel Leak #1  

hoghead

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300
Well, 40 hrs on the ol, green machine and have had my first problems.The fuel petcock at the bottom of the tank started to leak..dealer came out and changed petcock, re-taped the threads, and everything seemed to be fine.After an hour of run time it started leaking again.So the dealer is supposed to come over today and try to fix again.Got to say the dealer(Heritage Tractor in Baldwin City ,Ks) has been more than helpful and seem to be dedicated to fix the problem..The other thing is that the dash started fogging..I know this was a problem in early models, so that is why I got a new 2001..The dealer replaced the lens with a new one that was treated , but the dash is still fogging..Once again the dealer came to the rescue and ordered me a new instrument panel and will put it on today..I was wondering if any of you Deere owners have had the petcock leaking problem..I am familiar with the fogging problem so I hope the new panel will fix it..By the way the machine is a 4300 ..

Hoghead

/ Fuel Leak #2  
Yes, I had the same problem with the fuel leak at about 10 hours on my 4400 (2001 model). Opening and closing the petcock would reduce the leak from a steady drip to a few drops to allow me to continue working for the day but it needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the assembly quickly. My only complaint was that he insisted on trailering the tractor back to his shop to make the repair. Seems to me something that simple could have been done in the field, saving time for both me and the dealer.

/ Fuel Leak #3  
hoghead
I had a leak too, but mine was where the sending unit attaches the tank. I tightened the screwa a bit and that solved my problem. I have not nocticed any dash fogging with mine. I hope you get yours fixed quick! Would you belive I've got 475 hrs on mine since Jan 12 time sure flys when your have fun!
DDT