Oil & Fuel Fuel problems (algae)

/ Fuel problems (algae) #11  
I just saw these facts this morning :

If water enters your fuel system either through condensation or vents, it can causes bacteria growth. Many species of bacteria, mold and fungus can grow in diesel fuel but not algae.

Algae growth in fuel is a misnomer for the problem.

What looks like algae may be in fact asphaltene.

Asphaltene is a chemical problem inherent in diesel fuel and not biological contamination.

Unless you drain your tanks 100%, you always have old fuel in your tanks. This old fuel most likely has one of two problems, biological or chemical.

Consider these facts.

FACT: ALL fuel producers admit that diesel fuel is inherently unstable. This instability causes diesel fuels to form sludge and or insoluble organic particulates. Both asphaltene compounds (sludge) and particulates may contribute to build up in injectors and particulates can clog fuel filters plus add to the service issues common to diesel engines.
See: www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/L2_2_7_fs.htm

FACT: Diesel fuel contamination problems have two different areas to consider, biology and chemistry. On the biology side is "Fuel Bugs" and on the chemistry side is "Asphaltenes". Thinking you have a biological problem and treating it with a biocide when in fact you have a chemical problem will not solve the problem.
"Asphaltenes" aka diesel sludge is the most common chemical problem and the most misdiagnosed problem in diesel fuel. Asphaltenes are brown and slimy and resemble algae. BUT Asphaltenes are not algae. NO ALGAE GROWS IN DIESEL FUEL. The natural chemical process that goes on in diesel fuel as it ages creates Asphaltenes. The asphaltene molecules will tend to precipitate out of the fuel over time and settle on the bottom of the tank. Once picked up by the fuel pump filters clog and engines stop.
Those that call diesel sludge algae are misinformed and not knowledgeable on the subject and are mis-diagnosing the problem.
"Fuel Bugs" aka bacteria and fungus, primarily Cyanobacteria, in diesel fuel are the other problem but less prominent that Asphaltenes.
Most diesel users have very little knowledge of this costly problem. There are over 100 types of Fuel Bugs that can live in diesel fuel. Fuel Bugs feed on the oil in the fuel and use the water in the fuel for their oxygen supply. They grow in your fuel at different rates and can easily cost thousands of dollars in damage to each contaminated vehicle.

It is imperative to determine if a fuel problem is biological or chemical based.

FACT: University of Idaho scientists have conducted tests to determine the timeline and percentage of degradation of stored diesel fuel #2. The results of this testing was that the petroleum diesel fuel #2 degraded 26% after 28 days of storage. See: Petroleum and Environmental Engineering Services
Masoud Mehdizadeh, Ph.D. fueltechinc.com

Studies conducted by National Biodiesel Board under accelerated storage conditions also proved that sediments are formed. The formation of these sediments are increased in the presence of water and dissolved oxygen. [See: "Fuel Facts" National Biodiesel Board, Jefferson City, MO; Frankenfeld, J.W. "General Features of Sediment Formation in Model Fuel System," Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 1983, 22, 608-614].

Once diesel fuel begins the process of breaking down and sedimentation formation the fuel will create Asphaltene, cluster up, fall out of solution, and settle to the bottom of fuel tanks creating a sludge.
As the fuel further deteriorates, it darkens, produces a foul odour, and often causes diesel engines to smoke.

This is a direct result of the early-stage fuel clustering passing through the filtration systems and into the combustion chamber. These clusters cause greater difficulty as they increase in size, failing to burn correctly, thereby exiting the system as unburned fuel in the form of smoke. This problem is exacerbated as the clusters eventually reduce the fuel flow to the point of clogging the filters.

Filtration does not solve the core issue.

The source of this info was found here : Diesel Bug test kits

Great Info Gentleman - It amazes me how much one can learn at TBN, How about telling this old Redneck, what the best deterent would be to preventing this costly problem. Would the addition of power factor and a water absorber alone as RXK has suggested be enough? Also, does weather play a factor to these problems such as freezing cold or 100 degree days?
Thanks - Joe

/ Fuel problems (algae) #12  
I store fuel for about a year. I have been doing this for over 30 years.

I do the following:

Biokleen
Power Service
2 micron filter on the storage tank pump.
Don't buy any bio fuel

/ Fuel problems (algae) #13  
best deterrant? HMM, dont store your own feul unless you can use it all up within a year or less and add your own chemicals like biocide, winter treatment. weather only plays a factor when less then 30 degrees when waxing starts and then gell unless treated yourself for winter or have winter blend. To be honest with you about water ? I really don't know- I would say it can be a issue with large steel tanks and huge variation of day and night temps :confused: Maybe someone can educate me on experience not hearsay on the water issue? :eek:

/ Fuel problems (algae) #14  
There is something that grows in number 2........ what ever it is I dunno. I do know that a couple years ago it clogged the bridge between my twin tank heating oil supply. Of course the guage was on the tnk that was blocked, so it said "full" and because it was full, it would not feed the empty tank, which the heating system draws off of.

They finally figured it out, blew the line and replaced the filter, and all was fine...... moral of the story? get the service guy to leave you a spare filter........cause any idiot can service the system.