Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #1  

KingBubba

Tractor
Mahindra 3025 Gear
Searching about a new fuel pump for my Mahindra 25hp was a real eye opener for sure. The Mahindra parts depot wanted $143 for the pump. Another tractor parts supplier wanted $248 for the pump. Yet another depot for forklifts and the like wanted $558 for the pump.

At this point I smell a great big rat. I do a search on Ebay and after a good search, I found the same pump from California for $13.29 and another from New York for $13.59. I took a chance and bought one from each dealer. There were also about 100 Chinese dealers with the same part for less than $20.

Today I removed the old pump and installed the new one. The wiring plug was even the same configuration. After a painless install I fired up the tractor and it was perfect. The pump was even quieter than the original. This just goes to show what a little research can do. Don't let the bastards drag you down.

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #2  
Let us know if any problems with the pump develop and congratulations.

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #3  
This is common, especially with Ag and construction equipment. The starter for my Case IH 254 is over 300 at the dealer. If you search for Mitsubishi K3B starter you find them for 125.00. Dig deep enough and you can cross the part numbers.
The rule I always follow is to start with who built the starter or engine or whatever you need. Don't mind paying a premium for good stuff but three times difference is a bit much.
The automotive dealers are being pushed to reduce prices. In my area I see them offering non OEM parts on non-warranty repairs to reduce costs for themselves and sometimes the consumer. I know it's a bit harder to do on the equipment side but I wonder why it isn't done. If my dealer had said 175.00 for the starter when I walked in the door he might have gotten the sale. At over 300.00 I started digging to find another source.

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #4  
A starter for my Cummins is $600 new from the dealer, $250 rebuilt and $100 brand new on eBay. At $100 I can keep a spare starter in stock.

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers
I cut my front field today and the operation of the tractor was as it should be. I too bought a spare. I have a thread on NetTractor and a member there gave an example about a glo plug type device. The dealer wanted an exorbitant amount; so he did some research and found the same item online and also at Tractor Supply for around $25. I just plain pays to look around.

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #6  
I needed a fuel pump for a Kohler Command 23 V-twin in my welder - right at $70 with Kohler packaging, under $13 shipped in OEM wrapper FROM THE SAME VENDOR! That;s some expensive packaging!

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #7  
Since Limbaugh is there sales person you are taking fuel right out of his Jet!! :)

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #8  
The very best I have seen was a 10X32 ss all thread 1 1/2" long from BRP for $44.00. BRP bought OMC and they droped the stern drive all together. Now they are rapeing the people on the parts that are left. Another part for the trim on the same boat was $308.00. It was a enclosed 40amp breaker with 2 5pin relays. You can buy the relays for around $10.00 each and the breaker for about the same price. I'm seeing this more and more each day, all it is is greed! Anyone doing it should go to jail ..............

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #9  
A starter for my Cummins is $600 new from the dealer, $250 rebuilt and $100 brand new on eBay. At $100 I can keep a spare starter in stock.

sounds familiar - replaced the original starter on my 1996 caprice with a rebuilt (lifetime) one for $157 from Oreillys worked for 3 years and one day starting it the end housing broke off.
They replaced it with another (remanufactured) unit which lasted about 7 starts and its end housing broke also.

Said no more replacements and didn't offer a discount on a New unit. Lifetime warranty?

I ordered a Brand new one from DB electrical for $53 Including FREE shipping, noticed the end housing is much thicker metal and has been going strong for almost a year now. fingers crossed

/ Fuel Pump Scam By Dealers #10  
I posted about this before and with the Ford to New Holland buyout years ago is when I started noticing the outrageous parts pricing. Then it was like you couldn't even get Ford parts from NH anymore so I had to research other sources. The hardest thing I had to find was injector nozzles which New Holland doesn't even stock or service in house. Finally found a German website that had a cross reference for virtually every nozzle ever made. Crossed the Nippon Denso nozzles to a Deutz and found them at Find-it-Parts for $19 each- shipping included.