fuel seeping out

/ fuel seeping out #1  

Anonymous Poster

First of all, thanks Muhammid for this new forum.
I have a Kubota L-2050 with about 346 hrs. Lately I have noticed a strong diesel smell during operation with fuel seeping down on to the loader frame that runs across the tractor. I have noticed fuel on the inside of the right removable panel also. This is the side where the hose comes from the filter to the injector part. I would like to stop this immediately and I cannot pinpoint the leak. I am thinking about pressure washing the engine (after cooling of course) and maybe have a better view of the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jesse

/ fuel seeping out #2  
Jesse, You've suggested just what I'd do; wash everything so you can see better. I'm just not familiar with the L2050, but a couple of years ago I noticed a little fuel (and dirt) on my B7100 below the fuel tank. The tank was plastic and was held in place by two metal bands around it. Unfortunately, it developed a very small crack under one of the bands. Since a new tank was about $80 and my dealer did not have one in stock, I removed the old tank, patched the leak, and put it back.

Bird

/ fuel seeping out #3  
Your right first wash it down and let dry then run it and see if you can pin point the leak. If its a pressure side leak be careful where you stick your hands. If you still can't find it spray some mister bubble on your injector lines and such on the pressure side and a very small leak will show up by bubbling. The reason for using mister bubble it has no ammonia like regular dawn has. The ammonia will break down brass fittings over time and cause them to crack.
Good luck and while your looking for your leak wear safty glasses. A good pair only cost a few bucks /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ fuel seeping out
Re: fuel seeping out/fixed

I used a pressure washer to clean the engine and was able to tighten one of the injector bolts just a hair and have had no leaks since. However, the pressure washer was $269.
Thanks for your help everyone!
Jesse Shelton

/ fuel seeping out #5  

To anyone: when you pressure wash the tractor, do you need to be cautious about damaging anything? A couple hundred bucks to help preserve an expensive tractor seems like a good investment. I'm just wondering if I need to avoid electrical connections, rubber, cylinder scrapers etc.

/ fuel seeping out #6  

The same problems also apply to washing cars or tractors. I would be very careful about getting water in the alternator and starter. The high force setting will ruin a radiator by bending the fins so be sure to be careful and spread the pattern way out if you are going to spray directly on the radiator.The clutch pressure plate must not be allowed to get wet and rust to the flywheel. Many tractors have a drain for the clutch housing, but it should be driven and shifted until the clutch is good and warm if you get water in the clutch housing. That is all I have ever been concerned with. I washed mine last weekend before doing the 50 hour maintenance on it. Sure makes it easy to work on.

/ fuel seeping out #7  

Jesse,

You will find that pressure washer to be very handle for cleaning implements, tractor, concrete, cars, weedeaters, lawnmowers, etc. It is a good investment. I use mine on the faucet on the hot water heater to clean greasy stuff. The 140 degree hot water makes short work of grease and dirt stuck to greasy surfaces. Glad you found your problem and it was a simple one. Thank goodness, that most of them are.

/ fuel seeping out #8  

Wen: Any recommendation on size or make pressure washer for general purpose use? One consideration I've got is that I'll need to store it in the house in the winter (freezes in my barn) and will need to haul it up and down a flight of stairs. I actually bought one two years ago but it would never pull in soap and after two unsuccessful trips to the repair shop we returned the unit in frustration! But now, it sure seems like the right 'tool' for the tractor, implements, etc.

/ fuel seeping out #9  

The one I have is an economy Coleman Model from Home Depot. I had to buy an extra 20 or so foot of hose to make it usable. The soap sucking stopped up on mine, but I never found it much use anyway. If you wash cars, spray them off, soap them down with a glove and soap and then rinse them with the washer. The washer sprays hard enough to clean old concrete sidewalks. I believe it is a 1500 Model Coleman, but there are probably better models on the market today. Freezing would definately kill them. Mine has wheels and would fit your bill to take up a flight of stairs.

/ fuel seeping out #10  

Can you not drain those things, blow them out with compressed air, or run just a little anti-freeze through them to keep them from freezing?

Bird