Fuel stabilizer?

/ Fuel stabilizer? #11  
STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer works on diesel. The label says "Use in gas, gasohol, gas/oil mixtures, oxygenated gas, diesel fuel."

I've used it for years and have never had a spring time no start issue with the old fuel.

/ Fuel stabilizer? #12  
Diesel doesn't really need a stabilizer to last over the winter.

Evaporation is what causes problems with gasoline, which evaporates down to about -70F. The lighter fractions evaporate, leaving the heavier stuff (varnish) behind. Most fuel stabilizers simply raise the evaporation temp, which make it store well, but also turns it into a crummy grade of gasoline.

Since diesel's evaporation temp is something like +140F, it doesn't have the same problems. It's main storage problem is entrained water, which enables bacterial growth. If there is a fuel stabilizer which strips the water out, it would improve the storage quality of diesel, but over the course of a winter (6 months) bacterial growth is not going to be a problem anyway.

/ Fuel stabilizer? #13  
Sta-bil doesn't indicate it has anti-gel properties, so while it's OK to use in diesel, I am not sure what the advantage is. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The same company, Gold Eagle, makes Diesel Power which would seem more appropriate, IMO.

/ Fuel stabilizer? #14  
i have stored diesel in a 60 gal. big rig saddle tank for a few years now.its for my stand-by generator.most diesel rated conditioners are fine,and work well as long as the tank is kept full(less air entrainment). i keep the racor filter/water sep. inline and feel that this set-up will keep the fuel useable for years to come.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif