Oil & Fuel Fuel Station

/ Fuel Station #21  
The tank was some sort of industrial chemical container.
It contains about 25 gals and is manageable when full. ie, I can unload it from the pickup but would never try to load in.

Tricky part was fitting the pump as this tank has non standard threads. (not pipe threads).
What I did was use about a 6" length of 1 1/2" abs water pipe with three slits cut 1/3 lengthwise and firmly clamp with pipe clamps (jublee clamps).
The result is a nice snug taper fit that is 'just right'.
I can crank away as much as I want and it remains in place.

Sure beats the bucket/5 gal pouring with a bench.

Forget actual GPM of the pump, but it is very adaquate and sure makes fueling a pleasure.

And the pump was a mere $15-20. on EBay.

/ Fuel Station #22  
<font color="blue"> 1*The tank was some sort of industrial chemical container.
It contains about 25 gals and is manageable when full. ie, I can unload it from the pickup but would never try to load in.
2*Sure beats the bucket / 5 gal pouring with a bench.
PILOON </font>
<font color="purple">************************ </font>
1*I'm looking for a 15 gallon tank.
I don't use enough diesel to warrant a bigger tank.
Also the smaller tank being lighter to maneuver around when full would be easier to handle.
I want to set it on a dolly rather than a hand truck so that I can roll it on and off the tail gate of my pickup to a dock / stand that is the same height as my lowered tailgate.
----------------This set up would make loading and unloading the tank a breeze and taking the tank to get it felled up a snap.
2*It sure don't take much to beat the ole 5 gallon can method does it?

/ Fuel Station
Your right PILOON,anything beats the 5 gal. jugs. Seems all i did was spill it over me and the tractor.Actually my 35 gal. came from my local car wash ,they get there soap in it,they were glad to get rid of it.
mike

/ Fuel Station #24  
Guess I'm getting a car wash! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I saw mention of static discharge concerns in this thread.

Does that really play with diesel fuel? I've put a torch to some and it just smokes.

/ Fuel Station
Well, i guess static discharge can happen.It can happen dumping feed bags , 5 gal. jugs of fuel,static can happen almost anywhere theres movement of any material.I have been using this set up for 2 yrs. and no problems,NOT TO SAY IT WON'T .I guess it's like alot of things i do everyday in life,i'll just have to take my chances.

mike

/ Fuel Station #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Your right PILOON,anything beats the 5 gal. jugs. Seems all i did was spill it over me and the tractor. mike )</font>

There is a device called the Han-D-Pump that works with 5gal vented plastic $5 gas cans. I put the full can on the floor board, lift the nozzel into the screened/filtered funnel and then pump the gas from the tank into the tractor. Zero mess. It pumps the gas very quickly. Cost was about $9 for the Han-D-Pump at TSC. Just $.02 for another spill proof solution.

/ Fuel Station #27  
<font color="green"> ( Your right PILOON,anything beats the 5 gal. jugs.)Seems all i did was spill it over me and the tractor. </font>
<font color="red"> There is a device called the Han-D-Pump that works with 5 Gal. vented plastic gas cans. </font>
<font color="blue"> I put the full can on the floor board, lift the nozzel into the screened/filtered funnel and then pump the gas from the tank into the tractor. Zero mess. It pumps the gas very quickly. Cost was about $9 for the Han-D-Pump at TSC. Just $.02 for another spill proof solution. </font>
==========
<font color="red"> This takes care of the pumping / transferring </font> <font color="#666666">but does nothing about the lifting lugging shuffling and handling of the 5 gallon cans. </font>

/ Fuel Station
Mike,handy-d-pump sounds like another good way to get fuel to the tractor.Heres a question,what engineer or person came up with the idea NOT to put a vent on these new fuel containers,apparently these people have never filled a chainsaw or weed eater before.

Mike

/ Fuel Station #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What about the fuel pals.

I must admit that this is what prompted my idea. (the concept, not the price)

The cart I had as well as the container.
The pump came from EBay for, I think about $20.00.
It pumps (quote from the label) 10 gals/min. Guess that depends on how fast you crank. Just right for me!
I know harbor freight stocks that 'barrel pump' at, I believe $39.oo.
Must admit it sure is nice to wheel the handcart over to the tractor, insert hose and crank. Couple of minits and she is full.
A turn or 2 in reverse empties the hose back to the drum to avoid spills.
Had heating oil delivered last week, so he topped up my 'caddy' as well.