Fuel tank cleaning

/ Fuel tank cleaning #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
What is best way to clean diesel tank? I have had my filter that goes on drain valve clog up within 2 months. It got a lot of sludge in tank.

/ Fuel tank cleaning #2  
Remove the tank, remove the sending unit, any plugs or fittings and have at it with a hot water pressure washer. Drain, dry completely with compressed air. Repeat as required till the tank is clean.

/ Fuel tank cleaning #3  
Would a regular pressure washer and some detergent like Dawn do the same thing or does it need to be hot water?

/ Fuel tank cleaning #4  
Hot water and Dawn.....shake and repeat.

/ Fuel tank cleaning #6  
When I cleaned my tank (preface: It has something like a 1" bung on the bottom) I took a pressure washer to it and had at it.

When I was done, I took my garden pressure sprayer (that I use with diesel in it to start my fires) I filled it with fresh diesel, sprayed out the tank to ostensibly rinse the water out. Put bung back in place, filled with fuel and off I went. Probably used a pint or two of diesel to rinse it out.

/ Fuel tank cleaning #7  
To help get the water out of the tank after cleaning, you can use alcohol. It will absorb the water and you can pour it out. Then you can let the tank cook in the sun until dry.

/ Fuel tank cleaning #8  
have not done it myself but instead of detergent would something like simple green work better?
my pressure washer allows me to mix 2 small tanks to coat before spraying.

/ Fuel tank cleaning
On my MF 231S, fuel tank has something like baffle in it. Pressure washing would not get to bottom. Have anyone tried this product?

Attachments

• 7038B937-A596-4EA8-BFC0-C920373B39C6.jpeg
    7038B937-A596-4EA8-BFC0-C920373B39C6.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 77
   / Fuel tank cleaning #10  
Purchase one gallon of Super Clean at Walmart (less than $10.00). Ad it 1:1 (use water) to empty fuel tank. Agitate. Rinse with water. Dry. Change fuel filter and fill with fresh fuel.

Use caution. Super Clean is a very aggressive cleaner containing harsh chemicals that can damage skin.