Fuel Trailer

/ Fuel Trailer #11  
We have decided to convert an old stock trailer we are no longer using (got a new 5th wheel trailer, and the trailer places don't want to give anything for the old one on trade) to use as a fuel trailer instead of continuing to use the fuel barrels on stands for a couple of reasons. First, just like with the tanks in the bed of the pickups, we will be able take the fuel to the field for fueling, and not have to haul the tanks around when we don't need them.

The other reason is theft. A barrel in plain sight is just about an invitation for a problem when no one is home, sad to say. We'll keep the fuel barrels up but there might not be a lot of diesel or gas left in them. Might even have a little water in the fuel, if you know what I mean!

/ Fuel Trailer #12  
There is nothing wrong with pumping gas FROM a storage tank it's the filling FROM the gas station that's the problem. When I did it I first connected a ground wire from the tank and it worked out fine. That's why common wisdom says to put the 5 gallon can on the ground when filling. Most gas stations will not let you fill a large tank like that with gas and I believe it's not legal.
I'm as much of a risk taker as the next guy but make sure if you do the gas thing you have a gasoline hose for fueling that has a static wire in it. Not needed with diesel and pumpimg at a diesel station is no problem. Just my two cents.

We stored both bulk gas and diesel for many years and had it delivered. To save a $$ I set up a bulk tank like you have and the conversation on this board convinced me not to go get it myself but just have it delivered.

/ Fuel Trailer #13  
Nice build , Nice shop , love the reel ., How many acrea do you farm ? We farmed here in Illinois until about 2000 until dad retired and I was skeptic and we sold it . Keep up the good work .

/ Fuel Trailer #14  
Nice build , nice shop , handy . Don't worry about static unless you mention a JD outpulling a Kubota .

/ Fuel Trailer #15  
How many gallons? At about 8.5lbs per gallon that can add up quick.

/ Fuel Trailer #16  
I would hazard a guess that its under 250 gallons (probably closer to 100 or 150 gallons) so 1250#-2075#. Not a big deal with a 3500# axle.

Aaron Z

/ Fuel Trailer #17  

Fuels weigh much less than water. For instance gasoline weighs about 6.5 lbs per gallon and I would think diesel would be a few oz. heavier but it all floats on water so even if it is thick as crude, it is still less than water.

/ Fuel Trailer
Nice build , Nice shop , love the reel ., How many acrea do you farm ? We farmed here in Illinois until about 2000 until dad retired and I was skeptic and we sold it . Keep up the good work .

Thanks... I can understand your skepticism. For the last several years we haven't done much other than raising a few cows. We have been focusing on our other business but with the farming future looking pretty good now, we have decided to get back in.

/ Fuel Trailer

It's a 150 gallon tank. That's plenty big enough for hauling fuel to the field, plus we already had the tank.