Fuel what do you use

/ Fuel what do you use #51  
Just to clarify, they don't restrict tractors from using off road fuel here, in Va at least,..............

You mean as long as you drive the tractor on private land and stay off public (tax funded) roads?

/ Fuel what do you use #52  
You mean as long as you drive the tractor on private land and stay off public roads?
No, they can travel between fields etc. on public roads. Stupid to make a tractor that spends maybe a couple % of its time on public roads pay road tax on all its fuel.
I live in an area that is still fairly agriculture, at least for the time being.........

/ Fuel what do you use #53  
You mean as long as you drive the tractor on private land and stay off public (tax funded) roads?

I am not aware of any place in the US that requires highway diesel to be used in a tractor that is primarily used for non-highway purposes.
I have not heard of anyone having their fuel tank dipped on a tractor, trucks yes. However I am not sure how the regulations apply to ag or farm
licensed trucks. Also I expect that every state is different.
Our tractors get lots of road miles traveling from farm to field and field to farm, yesterday I had 8 round trips using the road from various fields
hauling round bales in to be wrapped.

/ Fuel what do you use #54  
I am not aware of any place in the US that requires highway diesel to be used in a tractor that is primarily used for non-highway purposes.
I have not heard of anyone having their fuel tank dipped on a tractor, trucks yes. However I am not sure how the regulations apply to ag or farm
licensed trucks. Also I expect that every state is different.
Our tractors get lots of road miles traveling from farm to field and field to farm, yesterday I had 8 round trips using the road from various fields
hauling round bales in to be wrapped.
Around here farm registered road vehicles are still required to run road tax fuel, unless they never leave the property.
Lou I'm sure there are exceptions but overall how hrs out of a tractor's total hrs are spent on the road? Based on what I see around here it's pretty low.

/ Fuel what do you use #55  
Around here farm registered road vehicles are still required to run road tax fuel, unless they never leave the property.
Lou I'm sure there are exceptions but overall how hrs out of a tractor's total hrs are spent on the road? Based on what I see around here it's pretty low.

Around here it varies quite a bit,
the smaller family sized farms that still chop (silage hay and corn) into wagons and not trucks such as the large operations do.
As an example for haylage,
going to mow is road to the field a few miles, several hours in the field and then back to the farm,
tedding, raking is the same,
then chopping, one tractor on the chopper to the field and then in the field chopping, then
2 or 3 tractors and people hauling and unloading, these tractors will spend the majority of the day roading
back and forth, more road time then in the field and unloading.
Then the silo blower or bagger tractor is sitting and working all day with no road time.
In this area the roads are commonly used to get to and from fields and even from one field to the next.
All in all it's hard to say how many hours are field and how many are road, but quite a few road hours in the course of a growing and harvest season.

/ Fuel what do you use #56  
Just to clarify, they don't restrict tractors from using off road fuel here, in Va at least, is that a all of Canada thing or just a providence thing?
Just a Canada thing I believe. If I recall the only things that can run un-taxed (dyed I'd assume) fuel up there is generators.

I run my tractor down the dirt roads a lot (often even with my LPGS down, intentionally). Only do a few miles tops occasionally on paved roads & have no problems here in Colorado.

I'm pretty sure most or all of the USA only cares about dyed off-road diesel in the tanks of licensed road going vehicles. Tractors aren't licensed so not relevant to the issue.

/ Fuel what do you use #57  
Ye I agree, and it looks like the bottom line is:

As long as you stay on private land there are no restrictions for off road Diesel fuel usage in most states.

The moment you enter public road there are restrictions in most states / provinces and anyone doing so should learn the local restrictions or else .....

:banghead:

/ Fuel what do you use #58  
Fallon said: I'm pretty sure most or all of the USA only cares about dyed off-road diesel in the tanks of licensed road going vehicles. Tractors aren't licensed so not relevant to the issue.

Exactly, 100% correct. Has to be ALL states. I am amazed that there is so much confusion over this grossly simple subject. It has only to do with road use taxes. Somebody running off-road dyed fuel in his truck, car or 18 wheeler is likely to get fined for it. Diesel burning cars/truck get spot checked by the state every once in a while here in MD. Also in WV and I'm betting in every state in the union.

Arto said: As long as you stay on private land there are no restrictions for off road Diesel fuel usage in most states.

The moment you enter public road there are restrictions in most states / provinces and anyone doing so should learn the local restrictions or else .....

The idea that "the moment you enter public road..." is a whole lot more draconian than any actual enforcement. Show me one case in any state where the operator of a farm tractor has been fined for running off-road (untaxed) fuel. That's not happening.

I take folk's word for it that the rules in Canada are apparently different. Strange but could be.

/ Fuel what do you use #59  
Fallon said: I'm pretty sure most or all of the USA only cares about dyed off-road diesel in the tanks of licensed road going vehicles. Tractors aren't licensed so not relevant to the issue.

I take folk's word for it that the rules in Canada are apparently different. Strange but could be.

While most provinces have no shortage of govt, outside of Quebec, I'm not aware of Ag tractors being targeted re. on-road fuel.

Rgds, D.

/ Fuel what do you use #60  
diesel whether its off road or on road is not #2 fuel oil. #2 is not ultra low sulfur. It will be sometime this fall as all will be low sulfur.