FUELING FRUSTRATION

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #11  
By putting it in the middle we can spill it equally on both sides, normally 1/2liter per fill-up.
I finally got fed up and installed an old 100 gallon tank, put a hand pump on it and probably haven't spilled 4 oz in the past five years. Fuel truck comes and fills it when I call.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #12  
Howdy fellas! I'm new to posting but have been checking out several forums here for some time now (tons of info) so, it's as good a time as any to jump in. I apoligize for any blips in advance.
I have a Deere 2520-same tractor I'm guessing-so I can relate. 35 pounds at almost arm length is a pain in the keester during peak grass growing season! What I did was get a "DELTA" brand 50 gallon square transfer tank-2x2x2 feet with a 12V pump. Build a dolley of 2x4's with 4 casters for it to set on.I roll mine under the end of the work bench for storage.The pump will probably come pre wired with alligator clips, mine did. I use an old battery from the boat but you could just as easy use the tractor battery and not mess with the extra battery issue. At the begening of the season I use a couple nylon chokers and the FEL to load the tank in the truck, fill it at the station, and reverse the process back home. I mow 2 acres 3 maybe 4x every 2 weeks and I can go most, if not all season on a tank. Works great, takes little space, and no need for delivery.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #13  
Around here, you need 150 gallon minimum order for home delivery. I have a 100 gallon tank with a 12v 15gpm pump and my brother in law has and identical set up (I bought both off Craigslist). I started out using one of those jumper batteries from Sam's Club but after a couple of years it didnt have the power to pump and wouldnt take a charge so I just bought a car sized battery that I set on top of the tank with a float charger to keep it charged. I keep mine in my boat shed so there is no sparks from my welding to worry about. The tank had some clips on each corner for bolt down to truck bed, so I just bolted on some heavy duty swivel caster wheels to it and now I can roll it around my shop easily even when full. I have a 20 foot hose on it with automatic shutoff nozzle. Now I just pull my tractor up to the garage door, unhook the hose from the pump bracket, turn on the pump and fill just like a service station. When both tanks are empty we call the dealer to come fill them up. If I needed to I could put it in my truck with the FEL and go get it filled then use straps to lift it off. So far in 3 years, I havent needed to do that.
I could just about manage to bulk the 150 gallons by my self if all my diesel equipment was empty. The bulk tank will hold 105, my RTV 6, JD 332 lawnmower 6, my LS tractor 25 and my B26 8 if all was near empty. I could put 10 gallons in plastic containers if needed but it seems that my BIL and I usually run out about the same time. We try to anticipate the rise and fall of prices a bit if possible to get the best deal, but sometimes the bulk rate doesnt coincide with the pump prices. He charges what it cost him when he bulked up his tanks till he buys again. He doesnt go up and down daily of twice daily like the service stations. So sometimes it is cheaper and sometimes it is higher.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #14  
I still use 20L plastic fuel cans and stand on the front tire of my Kioti DK45 (cab) to fuel. I used to use one of those cheap squeeze-start siphons, but now just upend the jug into a very large funnel inserted into the tank opening and let it sit until empty...I don't top up the tank, just put in 20L whenever it gets down below 1/4 tank or so.
A pump or gravity-feed system would sure be a lot more convenient/less back-breaking, though.
BOB

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #15  
I have a 28 HP tractor and a 300 gallon gravity tank. I bought it off CL for $50 and put a new filter and hose setup on it. Its in my pole barn and what I do is just once a year have 150 gallons of fuel delivered. I put a whole gallon of Power Server and a shot of bio-cide in it and have had no issue since 2004 when I got this setup.

No pumps, just gravity. Nice for me since we lose power at least once a month. Just lost power last weekend for 10 hours.

Chris

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #16  
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
system, such as for a farm or construction equipment, but having trouble living with 5 gallon cans because of the placement of the tractor's fill pipe.

LBrown59, please tell some more about your installation. It's not clear to me from your photos that you have two individual systems. But, it looks as if you are using a 12VDC pump powered by a large charger which pulls from two drums. I can see how that is used to fill your tractor(s).
How do you get the drums filled in the first place?
photos028.jpg

With this hauling drum.

photos030-1.jpg

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #17  
Howdy fellas! I'm new to posting but have been checking out several forums here for some time now (tons of info) so, it's as good a time as any to jump in. I apoligize for any blips in advance.
I have a Deere 2520-same tractor I'm guessing-so I can relate. 35 pounds at almost arm length is a pain in the keester during peak grass growing season! What I did was get a "DELTA" brand 50 gallon square transfer tank-2x2x2 feet with a 12V pump. Build a dolley of 2x4's with 4 casters for it to set on.I roll mine under the end of the work bench for storage.The pump will probably come pre wired with alligator clips, mine did. I use an old battery from the boat but you could just as easy use the tractor battery and not mess with the extra battery issue. At the begening of the season I use a couple nylon chokers and the FEL to load the tank in the truck, fill it at the station, and reverse the process back home. I mow 2 acres 3 maybe 4x every 2 weeks and I can go most, if not all season on a tank. Works great, takes little space, and no need for delivery.
With my set up there is no need for this as the only drums I handle are empty ones.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #18  
If you think gas cap on hood is frustrating, look at my Yanmar Ex450. they put the tank behind the drivers seat!!! absolutely cannot reach any controls on 3pt equip such as rotary spreader or ph digger. And of course it had to be mounted high up to clear the 3 pt. Here was my solution. Found an old 100 gal heating oil tank and a small 2 wheel trailer. Mounted the tank on the trailer, found a 110v pump on CL for $100. It's about 2 miles to the station that sells off road, if I'm using the tractor a lot, I tow the trailer to the station and fill it and the tractor both. Minimum delivery is 200 gal, so when my buddy down the road has his 300 gal tank filled, I park my trailer right beside and get mine filled at his discount price.

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #19  
I saw this once:

Barrel rolled into the loader bucket, raise, gravity flow to the fuel tank.

Bruce

/ FUELING FRUSTRATION #20  
I am a fan of using air pressure. I built this tank years ago, and it has
served me well. Note that I don't use a ton of diesel, but I sure don't
like lifting full 5-gal containers to shoulder height.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/117491-diesel-fueling-system-cut-owners.html

Harbor Freight makes a very nice pressure vessel for sand blasting that
could easily be converted for fueling operations. That would be far
less work than my converted propane tank.
Pressurized Sand Blaster