Full service - How hard is it to do really?

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #21  
Sometimes the hardest part of servicing your tractor is trying to interpret the owners service manual.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really?
Well Success, :cool2: but what a mess. I got the hydro oil out of the main housing in two stages due to the bucket size that would fit. I need to find a better container. (Santa where are you:D) The two lower axle housing were OK except the initial flow missed the bucket. :eek:. The long black filter underneath came off easy with a little mess (I filled the new one before installing), but then that #$%#*&% orange one under my feet. It finally came loose, but next time I will build a foil pan to catch the mess and drain it away from the lines and the other filter. What a huge mess. The engineer that set that up needs to have a fingernail pulled :shocked::thumbdown::laughing:. You haft to depress the go peddle to get the darn thin out, getting oil all over the place and on the floor mat. Well the tractor needs a good bath anyway.

Filling was easy with a big funnel and flexible hose. I taped it to my tool box so was able to use both hands to poor. Took 7.5 gallons plus filling the big filter. I was surprised that the system worked well without any air issues when I fired it up. Seemed quieter too.

Now I did find some fine metal partials on the magnet in the main drain. Not much but a bit. Might cover half you pinky fingernail. Is this normal?

Ill feel better next time and have the correct containers. Now to find a recycle place that does not charge $$$$$. I think the county has a free place. City charges. Ill also check my dealer.

Thanks for the help folks.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #24  
Ha,ha,ha - I know exactly how it went and how you feel. But it was a true learning experience, right? On my Kubota the engine oil/filter was easy - its only 14+quarts. The hydraulic system was a different matter - 16 gallons. Just try finding something that holds that much and doesn't overflow.

That little amount of metal filings on the magnet are nothing. Its normal for break-in on a new tractor.

Good job - well done - next time will go a whole lot easier.

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really?
Thanks
As along in years as I am, it feels good to keep up with the young diesel doc's. But somehow I feel it a bit more. Think Young Keith - Think young :D

You are very correct on finding the correct amount of containers, especially those that fit the tight spaces, and lining them so they can be used again. The problem here is finding a place to properly recycle without paying $$$$$$. At lease I have a solution with Mother Earth news and my Wood stove if it comes down to that. Involves TP and a proper burn chamber. What I have would probably last a winter. Would rather recycle.

As for the metal shavings, Tractor has 515 hours, so it is past break in and past due for the 400 hour service. However I am not sure the Dealer actually did the 50 hr service - they were bought out very shortly after my service and things looked too clean, especially after today. Even the new folks wondered, so it could have been the first change that I did- don't know for sure. Seems to be running better though. Oil that came out still looked good, not dark, but looked used.

Next time I will be better prepared.

Thanks

As for the proper containers, it gives me something to ask the Boss unit for Christmas :shocked::eek::thumbsup::)

/ Full service - How hard is it to do really? #26  
I ended up using one of the wife's BIG Tupper Ware quilt containers. It was big & heavy enough that it held all the hydraulic oil and the wife didn't notice that the replacement container was brand new. Honestly, I've seen hydraulic oil that was run in an industrial loader with 1000+ hours and it still looked good.

The idea of charging to handle used oil hasn't hit here in Ea WA yet. I took it to a Jiffy Lube the next time I had oil changed in my Jeep and they gladly took it.