Fumes from tractor

/ Fumes from tractor #11  
Thanks, I have had tractors for over 24yrs. Most of them JD., but not diesel, large gas garden tractors. I am about to purchase a new one but since I have allergies , I am concerned about the fumes causing a reaction.

None of are experts on allergies etc., but my wife has had serious allergy problems all of her life and use to get weekly shots. Since her retirement a little over two yeas ago she took over all lawn mowing with our "her" diesel BX2660. She will spend five or six hours per week in the summer mowing and she has had no increased problems.

As to the gas v diesel, I try not to breath any fumes.

/ Fumes from tractor #12  
I spend 2/3 days a week with rocking headaches and am unable to breathe through my nose at all 75% of the time ,Really intensifies the tinnitus too, had surgery twice but they still wont let me have shots !
Been this way for nearly 20 years .

/ Fumes from tractor #13  
I started having sinus headaches regularly a couple years ago. One day the wife saw something on Opra about a "netty pot" and showed it to me. I got one of them and have been headache free ever since. Prior to that, I spent a fortune on drugs like Tylonal Sinus and such. I am still on the first box of "sea salt", so the netty pot is definitely much cheaper.

/ Fumes from tractor #14  
Has anyone being affected by diesel fumes (small amounts) so that their sinusitis causes them lots of pain? Thanks

Get a HEPA filter mask and install the cartridges that you would use for fumes (e.g for spray painting)--not the cartridges for dust. I get diesel fumes in my face when running into the wind with my Mahindra 5525. The mask really helps.

/ Fumes from tractor #15  
I started having sinus headaches regularly a couple years ago. One day the wife saw something on Opra about a "netty pot" and showed it to me. I got one of them and have been headache free ever since. Prior to that, I spent a fortune on drugs like Tylonal Sinus and such. I am still on the first box of "sea salt", so the netty pot is definitely much cheaper.

I find that pot helps but is very short lived and only helps for a few hours .

/ Fumes from tractor #16  
Beware of the 'brain eating amoeba' if using Neti Pots:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...t-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning

/ Fumes from tractor #17  
I operated a JD755 for many years and never found the diesel fumes objectionable. A few months ago I acquired a JD3320 which I love, but the diesel fumes are really stinky. What has changed?

/ Fumes from tractor #18  
Well, I'm not allergic but diesel fumes make me nauseous and a headache will follow if I don't get out. I get sick sometimes on the highway if an old diesel engine is in front and the fumes get in my car...(honest officer, I had to pass them, it was a medical emergency!)
I never could drive our old MF 165 with the rear tail pipe for that reason. I researched the newer engines and bought my kubota m7040 with the cab. I start it in the barn and leave and come back, hop in and back out. So far so good. I test drove a smaller tractor at the dealer with the exhaust pipes in the front and wondered why the exhaust was located in front of where the air intake must be...

/ Fumes from tractor #19  
Well, I'm not allergic but diesel fumes make me nauseous and a headache will follow if I don't get out. I get sick sometimes on the highway if an old diesel engine is in front and the fumes get in my car...(honest officer, I had to pass them, it was a medical emergency!)
I never could drive our old MF 165 with the rear tail pipe for that reason. I researched the newer engines and bought my kubota m7040 with the cab. I start it in the barn and leave and come back, hop in and back out. So far so good. I test drove a smaller tractor at the dealer with the exhaust pipes in the front and wondered why the exhaust was located in front of where the air intake must be...

You might want to consider moving it out of the barn after you start it, rathering then letting it idle in the barn.

/ Fumes from tractor #20  
Roy, it depends on how cold it is how long I idle it in the barn. In the summer it isn't very long before I back it out. My barn is one of those quonset types, open at the front and open at the top in the back. It does seem that the air gets stuck in there as most of the wind here is N/S and the barn is perpendicular to the wind. The neighbor's grandkids started a grass fire on the weekend and part of my hayfield and pasture burnt. The barn still smells of smoke a week later!