Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #31  
The first part of my career was spent as a vocational education teacher, teaching teens (that is a difference here) to use power tools (table saw, bandsaw, shaper, radial saw etc.) The second part of my career has been spent administering vocational programs. I've been around countless safety training sessions and had countless discussions about safety with administrators, teachers and students.

People have to learn their skills somewhere. A lot of us learned from fathers uncles and grandfathers - in most cases loving and caring environments that allowed some risks but under supervision. I don't fault the OP for wanting to teach his young sons some skills. But there is a time and place AND a proper way. Nine years old and even 11 is young to be operating heavy machinery. Most kids that age can't ride a bike without wrecking.

Kids need to be ready for the responsibility of working with tools that can be deadly. Drivers licenses are issued at age 16 for that very reason - most of us wouldn't think of sending an 11 year old to the grocery store in the farm truck. Early teens is about the time when kids BEGIN to be ready to operate heavy power tools and machinery with careful supervision and careful INSTRUCTION.

By the way, Agriculture Ed. Programs still offer tractor driving and there remains a truck and tractor driving competition with FFA.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #32  
The other thought I had about this video before I got sidetracked on the safety issue is that it reminded me of an admission to my wife after a morning of repairing potholes in our long, gravel driveway: "In 15 minutes of tractor time, I can accomplish just as much as in 5 minutes with a rake and shovel." In other words, 15 minutes of fun = 5 minutes of physical effort, if no one is keeping score.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #33  
Funny jmc. But that's the way it is some of the time. Still worth the fun. Only mistake you made was admitting it to your wife :laughing:

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #34  
I noticed that most of thee members here just troll the new member section hitting "welcome" as a default and don't read what the guy even has to say lol. Reminds me of super Mario brothers when he keeps getting "1 Ups". I think I may go do this

:welcome: to TBN and you too will have 10,000 posts in a few years.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #35  
Jj,

I like earl oh I have years working an ambulance 12 for me followed by 30 In law enforcement where I continued an association with emergency medical care, teaching and SWAT medic so please don't take this as anything but friendly conversation,

When teaching at the police academy I would dedicate a 4 hour block of the class to job related stress. What I taught the recruits was mostly from personal experience, and I will tell you some of what I told them. There is nothing worse on the job than knocking on someone's door in the middle of the night and when they answer the door starting the conversation with " I'm sorry to have to tell you there has been an accident" to tell someone that you don't know of the death of a loved one is not a good experience. The only thing worse is holding someone's child as they take there last breath knowing there isn't a d*** thing you can do about it.

In close to 40 years I have delivered 7 baby's and picked up body parts so my personal experience has also reflected on what I have done with my children. Like most on TBN I have also given my children "rides" on tractors but not when working it. As a child my father had also given me and my brothers rides. So I will not tell you what to do with your boy I know what a thrill it is for both son and dad. But I will ask you to use caution, rides are fun when you can focus on the safety of your boy, but when working you will be focused on what you are doing, accidents happen in an instant! I don't want to read that an officer was sent to your home saying to your wife " I'm sorry but there has been an accident." I don't think any one faults you just some times they see a danger that we might not.

One other thing, think of how you might feel after an accident if the boy were injured you would blame yourself.

Enjoy your tractor, and family, work and play with caution.

David

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Status
Not open for further replies.