Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #1  

copperhead1967

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota BX22, Cub ZForce S 48 inch deck
My 23 year old heatpump is done. The 23 YO oil fired furnace is OK but I'm am looking at replacing both this spring. The blower in the furnace runs alot with the heatpump and the advantages of a 2 stage blower would be beneficial.The heatpump will not hold freon and with its age I think all the copper in the system is pin holed and shot. I researched some and a entry level Oil furnace would add about $1500 to the package cost. My current system was set at 40 deg for the break over to the oil furnace. Most are set to 30 or even 25 deg now. I really hate using any oil, even the small amount I consume. Plus I could get rid of the outside tank.
Natural Gas is not available in my area.

My house is single story 24 X62 with a 12 x 16 addition, lets say 1800 sq feet, over a crawlspace. I have a wood stove and burn about 4-6 cords of wood per winter. More towards 6 this year since I burned more wood in the 40 to 60 degree range with the heat pump on the fritz last fall and this spring. I use no more than 100 gal of oil mostly as back up when away long enough to let the wood stove burn down. I set the system to 60 in the winter just so it will kick on to keep the house somewhat warm. Then fire up the woodstove when I come home.
With this info could I even think of eliminating the Oil furnace all together and going with a Heatpump and back up electric coils? I would still get the new air handler and 2 stage blower. Most calculations say electric backup stips are not efficient in my climate BUT they don't take in the woodstove usage.

Some other things to consider.
What if we go away for the weekend and the outside temp is below the heatpump set point? Running on back up stips the whole time may get expensive. I could turn heat down to say 50 deg. when gone for a few days.
My age, at 45 I can still cut and slip wood off my 9 acre lot but see a day when I'll not be able to do that anymore. I'm actually looking at a logtruck load this year $600 because I'm short on time to gather the wood off my property. I'll still cut and split it. I see a pellet stove in the future, 10 years or so.
Electric is supposed to go up, currently at 5.39 KW without added fees. current bill runs around $180 month year round. But oil has gone up 400% in the 12 years I've owned this house.
The house is 1980s build and not to well insulated, I plan on adding to the attic insulation when done with the HVAC work.
Resale price of home without a traditional furnace set up?

Thoughts or suggestions??

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #2  
I am pricing geothermal now and surprised how affordable it is. My electric company is offering a credit towards construction, a rebate after installed, and a special rate on the electric when I purchase it. The government is offering a 30% tax credit on the whole system, including the ductwork and installation.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #3  
One thing not mentioned is propane. I use wood and when the wood isn't heating the propane takes over. Electricity around here is expensive and most homes aren't heated with electricity because of the cost. I use about 250 gal of propane a year, and my house is 1950 sq ft, but I supplement with wood.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #4  
Have you got enough electric service to run electric heat? It can use a lot.
It may cost you a fair amount to upgrade.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #5  
I replaced my heat pump/wood furnace with geothermal 2 yrs ago. Very happy with the results. Cheaper electric bills, ice cold air conditioning, more comfortable, no wood mess and I put the wood furnace in my outbuiding so I have a heated workshop :D . Plus the geothermal preheats my hot water.

Jeff

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #6  
The heat strips in our system only run if the differential between thermostat and actual temp is enough o call for additional heat. This only happens when the system has been off for a while.

We heat entirely with a waterstove. Our heat pump only backs up the waterstove. We had to do it this way for the bank when we originally built te house plus we needed the AC. The waterstove is connected to a heat exchanger in the plenum of the heat pump. That way we get forced air heat like a furnace (warm heat) versus the heat pump (not so warm heat) by pumping the hot water through the heat exchanger with the fan of the heat pump moving the air. We have the port to add an oil backup to the waterstove but do not have connected.

A waterstove would be worth a look since you already burn wood.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #7  
If power outages are an issue, a generator of reasonable size will not run a heat pump or electric heat. The oil furnace is easy. I guess I could disable two of the three heating elements. The generator could run one of these.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #8  
I don't know your area,but I would go HP with propane 90+furnace as back up B-4 I would have a oil furnace. Then again, Oil may be the great for your area.We don't have any use for them down here
Electric heat strips are 100% efficient. there is no heat loss through a flue. Elec. can be very expensive to operate

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA #9  
You need to plug in the local cost of fuels (along with the efficiency of the equipment you would buy) to see which is cheaper:
Fuel Cost Comparison Calculator
http://www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls

I don't really see the point of a three fuel system (wood, heat pump, heating oil/electric). I suggest you drop the heat pump and just do a heating oil or electric or propane depending on which calculates as cheaper (and heating oil will probably go up in price faster than the other two).

Since you are only 45 it looks like it will be 20 years or more before cutting wood is too much--and by then the current system will need to be replaced.

/ Furnace and heat pump replacement OPTIONS Western PA
Thanks for the input so far. A couple answers, I have a 200A service. I checked the existing system runs on a 50A breaker and the furnace runs on 30A. No additional breaker for backup strips in place that I can tell. Geothem would be nice but pricey. If I went that route it would be the ultimate solution. I have the room for the system with the acerage, I also have a backhoe :). I have to investigate that more.
The main attraction of the heatpump is the summer cooling as well as the spring and fall heating. The woodstove is the primary heat below freezing for 3-4 months of the year.