Future of HVAC and industry supply issues.

/ Future of HVAC and industry supply issues. #101  
See a few around even one in Doc parking.

My guess the most expensive EV to date owned by staff is Lucid…

Very impressive stats but in the ropes fonancially?
One thing I've learned on my vacation in California is if you want to see cars you've never seen before, drive state route 1 :ROFLMAO:

My son pretty much knows the totals on every Ferrari, Lamborgini and Porsche (one reason why he loves working at the car wash I believe LOL) locally, he lost count on the west coast (apparently we were luky though for the Monterey car show).

Thinking about it, California must be one of the biggest markets (if not biggest) for the exotic car business vs any other state out there.

Sorry, off topic. Like I mentioned, had no clue what a Polestar was.

Last edited:
   / Future of HVAC and industry supply issues.
California had a vibrant car culture for decades with hot rods, low riders, exotics, imported, etc.

My first W2 job was at age 12 where every Saturday I would wash and start every car on the Used Car lot...

I like cars and lived that job... lots of muscle cars and convertibles in the mix.

I still worked there when I got my license and did some detailing, minor repairs and test drives... the owner said the kid is great at sales... I think part was my enthusiasm with knowledge from reading the owners manuals while cars warmed up.

They let me drive cars home sometimes for lunch and my only rule was never the same one twice...

I can see where a car wash/detail a good fit for a car guy...

Good money owning a few in a small town plus what you make on coffee and pastry.

Let's see... working alone on a hot roof fixing A/C laughing your tools with you or meeting all the single ladies with their hot cars???

/ Future of HVAC and industry supply issues. #103  
UR

Sounds like an amazing childhood you had right there(y)

If my son didn't qualify for the Air Force, yes, I guess I can see one of the reasons why he would want to stay at the car wash. Just as a father, I don't see any long term investment in a career going that route, but I'm certain the world is full of surprised fathers whose children succeeded in a career path other than their parents:unsure:

We've also pointed out to him that if he sees what he gets charged for service work on his Mercedes (that he can't do himself), being a GOOD auto mechanic on a Mercedes or BMW or some other foreign car may not be a bad career choice either LOL

Last edited:
For many a business opens many avenues…

One of my brothers friends owns several Giant Burgers… he was always working there in High School and the owner said you are real good and I’m getting older… I will teach you the business so you can take over…

One of my friends could never work for anyone but he is a one man cable rooter company with all the business he can handle…

Hard working guys making it work…

I also had some street learning with the Black Panthers, Hells Angles, Earth First, Weather Underground, etc… seems everyone was in Oakland back in the day… plus the Hippies and Yippies and Flower Children etc…

Just a quick interim update…

The rented 30 ton generator powered trailer mounted unit ducted to existing air handler exceeds all expectations and performing excellent.

One phone call to the guys at CAT Power Systems is all it took.

Only downside is the cost but compared to cancelling surgery it’s the only option.

Proposals for a solution are all over the place from 30k to study and propose a solution to 500k to populate/replace with package units…

The sweet spot in my opinion would be a 50 ton boxcar that could be dropped in place…

Some boxcar manufacturers stop at 25 tons do it would take 2 of these and adding a 480v circuit to power if two units with a total of 4 compressors…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
   / Future of HVAC and industry supply issues. #106  
Just a quick interim update…

The rented 30 ton generator powered trailer mounted unit ducted to existing air handler exceeds all expectations and performing excellent.

One phone call to the guys at CAT Power Systems is all it took.

Only downside is the cost but compared to cancelling surgery it’s the only option.

Proposals for a solution are all over the place from 30k to study and propose a solution to 500k to populate/replace with package units…

The sweet spot in my opinion would be a 50 ton boxcar that could be dropped in place…

Some boxcar manufacturers stop at 25 tons do it would take 2 of these and adding a 480v circuit to power if two units with a total of 4 compressors…

A replacement coil for that condensing unit should be available for less than your spending on the diesel and rental fees. Have you tried Carrier factory service? https://www.carrier.com/commercial/en/us/service/ca/san-francisco/

72k is the least expensive quote for new coils, R22 , drier, etc

/ Future of HVAC and industry supply issues. #108  
I’m in a different market, but I was just guessing the generator and cooling unit run north of 20k a month in rental fees. 24 hours a day of diesel for that setup could be an additional 150-200 depending on actual loads and fuel costs, and that’s on top of the power the original condensing unit and air handler are still consuming. So I’m estimating between 25-30k a month in costs sitting there in that picture.

If you run it for a couple more months while it gets sorted out it could exceed the original repair quote, especially if replacement alternatives don’t ship on the scheduled dates.

I still think a call to carrier factory service may get you the quickest resolution. In my experience the factory guys seem to have the best turnaround on specific replacement coils, and they fit without mods to the unit or compromise on performance. Plus they typically have guys that have been with them for a while and know better than a group of engineers what will work. Have you tried them? Or have they already given you a reason not to?

In 2021 I was pushing to replace the Weathermaster Tower with 2 compressors, coils, 4 condensing fans etc.

The quote was 76k. Carrier had a 5 month lead and this was in the middle of pandemic where it was impossible to get admin approval as a 3k coil repair was holding and it was but I realized it was only buying time.

Fast forward 2023 where one circuit has failed… Admin wanted another repair and I held firm repair attempt and order the new tower.

Carrier told me that it no longer offers R22 towers but can still provide coils in 5 weeks from Mexico.

The price to replace coils is almost the same as the entire tower replacement Jan 2021.

Corp at the highest levels got involved and directed another system refrigerant charge followed by a 12k repair attempt with another charge each time 40 lbs +/- R22… ouch!

Now is traditionally the hottest time of the year and the loss of 60% of cooling capacity made the operating rooms unusable.

I made the call on my own for temp air and took the heat.

The temporary 30 ton replaces the out of service rooftop 30 ton we lost all refrigerant and supplements the still working 20 ton circuit.

Rental is 4K weekly… not counting fuel.

I start the generator at 4 am M-F and shut down at 6 pm… so 14 hours daily 5 times per week.

As I explained to corp the choice is simple… do we keep the doors open and provide surgery or shutdown indefinitely.

In my 32+ tenure we have never once cancelled surgery due to a problem with the facility.

A typical week is 100-125 surgical cases.

In 2021 when the coil was repaired only emergency surgery was permitted… no elective… so instead of the 100-125 weekly count we averaged less than 10 and it was anyones guess as to the future.

Last edited:
With colder weather upon us I floated the idea of returning the rented equipment but was told medical staff not comfortable with doing that.

In the last 7 days only used the supplemental cooling 12 hours.

We are getting fleeced on delivered diesel even being the price has declined... The adjoining Chevron station sells for $6.35 and I'm nearly double that all in delivered.