Buying Advice G174 need voltage regulator

/ G174 need voltage regulator #11  
When you say "get this thing running" you mean just fix the charging circuit? It should run w/o that.

/ G174 need voltage regulator
When you say "get this thing running" you mean just fix the charging circuit? It should run w/o that.

No, I bought my tractor non running. I was told it needed a "starter" and a "battery". When I got those replaced I bought new cable because the existing cables were butchered and so was the voltage regulator. The VR looked as if someone spliced in some wires, one was cut from the plug, and two were soldered on the inside guts. I didn't look good at all. So now that I have all new stuff, I hope this thing fires right up. I was told it ran good last year...hopefully...the guy did seem trustworthy and had nice house, cars and stuff.

/ G174 need voltage regulator #13  
As long as you have a starter and decent battery you can try to get it running that way. All you need is the battery going to the starter main positive pole and then you can jump the solenoid to the positive of the battery and get it to crank. Of course, the ground must be connected to the frame as well and you need to pull the jumper to the starter solenoid as soon as the engine starts. I just picked up a G172 that has a toasted electrical system and I can start it that way. It helps to jumper to the glow plugs for a few seconds before going to the starter solenoid as these engines are difficult to start w/o glow plugs.

If the wiring has been "butchered" I'd avoid it altogether until you evaluate the rest of the tractor in it's entirety and see exactly all that is wrong if you can. It may take a major investment to fix everything back to original operating conditions, especially if there are gear problems along the way. Hopefully that won't be an issue and likely it will not. I can tell you that from owning five of these tractors second-hand, none of them came with fewer than roughly a half-dozen problems ranging from broken gears to poorly rebuilt engines in the worst cases and the gambit of other less-significant problems such as nobody doing basic maintenance during the last couple of decades.

If everything else does check out, consdier yourself very lucky and at least change all of the oils and filters and grease all the fittings that need it.

/ G174 need voltage regulator #14  
Ironically my voltage regulator on my G154 just went too. It actually may have been bad for some time, but my 1 year old battery had overcharged, and was dry, and the plates were bent. I had to replace the battery, and I found that it was charging at about 18 volts. The voltage regulator is original and 30 years old, and I found that there were two wires that had fallen apart at the inlet to the regulator, so I ordered one last night. I checked all of the grounds, and my alternator is about a year old as well. I was surprised that it was close to $50, when you can find some for cars at around $8. I hope that it fixes my overcharging issue, and that yours helps with your tractor too! I am ok with slowly replacing old, worn out parts to make it last for another 30 years. I love my Iseki, and I used it yesterday for about 8 hours splitting wood with my 3 point splitter, and draging logs, and I worked it again today for about the same amount of time. It is an absolute work horse!