G1800 Electrical problem - no power

/ G1800 Electrical problem - no power #1  

Shuttlexman

Tractor
G1800 AWS Diesel
I was using my G1800 all day. I had just finished mowing grass and went to shut the tractor off to clear the radiator screen. The tractor wouldn't shut off and noticed the ignition switch was loose. All of the dials, lights on the dashboard stopped functioning. I managed to shut the engine off by manually cutting the fuel as the solenoid wasn't functioning.

I removed the grill to access the fuses and they all seemed fine - check them with a multimeter. I removed the ignition switch and a wire had chafed and frayed and shorted out. After reviewing the wiring diagram in the manual I noticed the starter motor has a 'fusible link'. Sure enough that was open so it had blown.

Could this have been caused by the ignition switch shorting against the frame? Any and all ideas please.

/ G1800 Electrical problem - no power #2  
I removed the grill to access the fuses and they all seemed fine - check them with a multimeter. I removed the ignition switch and a wire had chafed and frayed and shorted out. After reviewing the wiring diagram in the manual I noticed the starter motor has a 'fusible link'. Sure enough that was open so it had blown.

Could this have been caused by the ignition switch shorting against the frame? Any and all ideas please.

Yes, the fusible link is the main fuse that supplies power to all of the electrical system except the starter motor. Your short circuit must have been in the main power line before any of the fuses.

BTW: I just had a similar thing happen on my G1800 the last time I mowed with it two days ago. The dash panel was completely dead, but I have a starter button wired directly to the starter, so I was able to start and use the tractor. I have some other maintenance to do to, so I'll troubleshoot mine later this week.

Here is a schematic of the electrical system.

Attachments

• G1800-Elec.jpg
    G1800-Elec.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 8,522
   / G1800 Electrical problem - no power
Thanks jinman for the quick reply. Will head over to the Kubota dealer this morning. Great forum here. Located in Ottawa Canada. Many thanks.

/ G1800 Electrical problem - no power #4  
Thanks jinman for the quick reply. Will head over to the Kubota dealer this morning. Great forum here. Located in Ottawa Canada. Many thanks.

another thanks from me! the tips are very useful.