G1800 engine really slams to a halt

/ G1800 engine really slams to a halt #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Hello I am just starting to go over my new to me 1992 G1800 (400 hours) and after spending some time with it, one odd thing I have noticed is that when I turn the key off, the engine really slams to a halt without turning over a couple of more revolutions. I have two other larger Kubota diesels, and both of those engines gently (but quickly) stop when the key is turned off, the g1800 almost reminds me of a power tool with a brake that violently stops the tool when power is lifted. Seems to turn over and start ok, runs great, I dont get the impression anything is dragging on the machine, but when i turn the key off (at least when the kill solenoid works, its random) the engine seems to come to an unnaturally fast halt. Any comments appreciated.

/ G1800 engine really slams to a halt #2  
Mine.. "New to me too" does the same thing and I was told it was normal..

/ G1800 engine really slams to a halt #3  
Must be normal.... my TG1860 does the same thing.

/ G1800 engine really slams to a halt #4  
Yep, normal. . . On most engines, there's a bigger flywheel and attached clutch pressure plate that keep the engine going for a few revolutions. On our G1800s, there is only a small flywheel and the 5" diameter PTO pulley on the front of the engine. The PTO pulley has belts working as a brake even though they are not tight and engaged. With the long stroke and compression of the little diesel engine, things just shut down in a hurry. When I cut off my engine, it just goes, "RUMP!" and it's stopped.:D

/ G1800 engine really slams to a halt
OK, thanks guys, on to other issues with it, but that is/was a big one so it is reassuring to know its ok!