G1800 gauges not working

/ G1800 gauges not working #1  

temahuffy

Tractor
BX23, G1800
I just aquired a G1800 with 311 hours and the gauges work only intermittently I ordered a service manual however anyone have any insight battery is good no other issues glow plugs work shuts off with key I am thinking on changing out the keyswitch what else should I try?

/ G1800 gauges not working #2  
Have a G1900 and the fuel gauge does not always work when starting the engine but usually reads after the first bump or two. I would guess it is a ground issue. I can tap the dash corner and it will read. Bought new in 1992 and it has been a great unit (moving toward 3000 hrs.).

/ G1800 gauges not working
The guages on mine worked pretty consistantly but recently stoped and no amount of tapping seem to help shop manual arrives Friday and then I will tackle this project

/ G1800 gauges not working #4  
I have a 1993 G1800 that has a bit over 400 hours on it. It's a great machine that I've never had a lick of trouble with except for the fuel shut off solenoid. At about 197 hours the machine wouldn't stop when the key was turned to the off position. After raising the hood and manually pulling on the solenoid a few times I installed a manual shut off.

Apart from that I've had no issues and certainly none with the gauges. I would check the ground though. A bad ground can drive you to distraction:confused:. You might want to hook up a wire from the instrument cluster to the negative pole of your battery. If the gauges work then you've likely found your problem.

BTW: I had the foot plates rust out from the slush and salt that accummulated there during the winter. I finally had to cut some aluminium anti-skid plate to fashion replacement both foot plates. I'd suggest everyone in the snow belt look at removing rubber mats otherwies corrosion may set in.

/ G1800 gauges not working
thank you for your suggestion running a ground wire to the battery from the gauges seem like the best plan of attack to start.:D