G1800 Hydrostatics failing?

/ G1800 Hydrostatics failing? #1  

David_in_SC

Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I have a G1800 diesel mower with just over 2600 hours. I bought it at 2500 hours and have put 30 hours per year for the past 4 years. Last spring, after setting for about 3 months, the hystat did not want to move, just wanted to growl. Finally, after a long warmup, she moved away and worked great all summer. I changed all filters and fluid and cleaned the screens at end of 2004 in hopes of avoiding same situation at beginning of this year. Well, it happened. I had good luck with it the first few mows of the year. But tonight, it would not budge in reverse.. Just a loud roar. Loud roar in forward as well, but it would creep. So, I pushed it out of garage in reverse and began to mow in forward. After only a few minutes, began to work as it should in both directions.
I assume the loud roar/whine is pump cavitation? I know this is not a good sign. Is it safe to assume that a rebuild of the hystat drive is in my future? Is this something that the DIY person can do at home? Dealer quoted me about $800 for a reman hystat unit and that seems high, especially if I can do it at home.
What all is involved and where can I buy a rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance for the help.
David in SC

/ G1800 Hydrostatics failing? #2  
David in SC, There is an /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif-ring seal on the suction tube where it enters the top of the HST assy. Replace it and your problem may disappear. It is item #30 on the attachment.

Attachments

• 639252-04-26-2005 09;27;35AM (2).jpg
    639252-04-26-2005 09;27;35AM (2).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 320
   / G1800 Hydrostatics failing?
Thanks Todd. I will give it a try. Thanks for the picture.

David in SC