G5200 Front PTO engagement belts

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts
I went buy the dealer this morning. It was cogged and said "Bando REC SB-31" on it and it measured 33" outside circumference, ~5/8" wide, ~7/16" thick. So it's a BX30 belt.

I hear you on the wrapped belts handling slippage better. Makes sense. Attached is a picture of how the dead one died. I don't know what would cause that. Rubber is still very flexible.

attachment.php

I would lo0ok at the OEM belt to make sure it is notched, but if this it engaging the PTO by tightening the belts, I would recommended a wrapped belt... In my experience unwrapped belts don't handle slipping during the process of engaging anywhere near as well as wrapped belts do.

Just my :2cents:

Aaron Z

Attachments

• DeadBelt.jpg
    DeadBelt.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,349
Just ordered 4 Gates BX 30 belts from World Belting for $38 including shipping. Should be just about identical to the OEM part that was $47 EACH at the dealer.

I decided on the cogged belts because they are 1/2 the cost of the wrapped belt --the wrapped belt would have to last twice as long to compete on price. Plus, it may be that the OEM belt was cogged for a reason (belt bent backwards by idler pully, small diameter pulley, belt turns fast).

Will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully all this will be useful to someone and maybe saved someone a few bucks.

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #13  
So - how did those Gates belts work? I'm near closing a deal on a G5200 and while putting it through it's paces I noticed that the notched PTO belts are missing some of their notches, so I'll wager new belts will be in my future. How hard are they to replace?

Thanks for posting - this is great information!

So - how did those Gates belts work? I'm near closing a deal on a G5200 and while putting it through it's paces I noticed that the notched PTO belts are missing some of their notches, so I'll wager new belts will be in my future. How hard are they to replace?

Well, we killed some belts until we found the real problem: the idler/tensioner pulley was about 1/4" out of alignment . Someone had crashed into something real hard and bent the shaft where the idler arm attaches to the frame arm. We used a oxy/acetylene torch to bent the arm so everything was aligned again. Not perfect but havent killed any more belts

But, yes, the BX 30 belt worked fine and they were easy to replace. For some reason, we have to keep our tension adjustment all the way in. Dont know why - maybe they make a 29.5 or maybe the tension spring is weak For this reason we ordered a BX29 also, but it was too small.

If I were you I would be more concerned about overheating issues. Mine seems VERY sensitive to dust in the radiator screen we flushed the coolant system and had the radiator boiled out and still very sensitive Only have the problem when we use the mowing deck.

But we really like the machine. Extremely well built (except for cooling system maybe). But we just have an affinity to diesels.. :)

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #15  
Thanks for the cooling advice - I'll keep on top of that. We share a diesel affinity. For me it has to do with build quality, durability, available torque and low fuel consumption compared to gas powered. That reminds me - I gotta call that guy and tell him we have a deal. That thing is a wee-beastie.

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #16  
Took delivery, yesterday.

G5200_1.jpg

The pump was just replaced, but I'll keep an eye on the temperature when the temperature warms up again.

Looks great! Prettier than mine. How much you give fer it? How many hours?

The thing will PULL. Very useful even without the mowing deck. Great compliment to my little Yanmar 1610D tractor.

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #18  
$2000/670hrs. We paid almost as much for a new Craftsman in 2007 with a bagger and trailer. The Craftsman is on it's 2nd engine and I never know what will go wrong with it next. Had to rework the battery tray on the Kubota as the battery in it is not the right size - too big. Next job is to make an adapter for the deck and hitch so we can hook up the Cyclone Rake. Now we can sell the Craftsman in the Spring!

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #19  
I ordered these from Coleman:

Item #: 70000-740062
Description: 2 Belts Matched Set
Qty: 1
Price: $26.84

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #20  
So far, so good with the replacement belts.
Had to re-tension the PTO cable today after a full summer of mowing:
P8250202 (640x480).jpg