G5200 routine maitenance

/ G5200 routine maitenance #1  

Baby Grand

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H
The belt I removed from the mower deck (left) vs the correct belt (right):

P6010090.JPG

Mower deck with wrong (too narrow belt) notice how the belt touches itself near the idler:

P6010089.JPG

... and with the correct belt - much more clearance near the idler:

P6010091.JPG

Both belts were the same length, but the large one sits on the outer part of the sheave, so it fits like a "shorter" belt. I suspect it also moves a little faster.

Last edited:
   / G5200 routine maitenance
With about 680 hrs on the clock and no idea of this tractor's maintenance history, I decided it was time to replace the hydro filter & fluid, check the screen and replace the fuel filter. This is all easy to get at if you remove the rear wheel first and set the axle on a jack stand:

[P6010092.JPG

/ G5200 routine maitenance #3  
I am trying to replace my belt and am having problems removing the deck. I noticed that you still had part of the pto shaft on the deck. I thought you had to remove the screw that goes through the shaft by the gear box to remove but it won't come all the way off. Do you remove the 2 clips in the back and the 2 in the front and then move the deck and it just comes off?

Welcome to TBN, Speckred!

Do you mean that you're having trouble separating the deck from the tractor?
I jack up the front of the tractor to get a little more room and that seems to make a big difference.
Once the front links & side links of the deck are disconnected, I push the deck back, toward the rear wheels.
As the deck nears the rear wheels, the splines of the PTO shaft separate, and the deck can then be slid out to the side of the tractor.
Once you have the deck out, unbolt the bracket on the right side of the right angle gearbox (bottom photo, first post).
Now you can slide the belt off, under the PTO shaft.
-Jim

/ G5200 routine maitenance #5  
That is what I meant. I was trying to take the shaft off first before removing the bolt and nut on the coupler to the gear box and I was not able to move the shaft far enough to get it off the gear box. I will do it the way you said. Thanks for the help.

Took the deck off, yesterday, to do some weld repairs where daylight was coming thru. Was cussin' that deck until I remembered to put a 2-3" block under the front center roller after jacking the front of the tractor up - then lower the jack a bit so that some weight transfers to that front center roller. This takes the fore-to-aft load off of the link pins so they just pop right out once the "hair pins" are removed. Felt a little negligent that I forgot to mention that part.
-Jim

/ G5200 routine maitenance #7  
Thanks for all your help. I did finally get it off and fixed. I found 2 things that help take it off the next time. The first is also take the top 2 bolts off the left bracket. That will help get the belt under the front of the gearbox. The second is to make sure you have the cotter pins on the outside of the back deck mounts. That way if you have to knock the pins out with a hammer, it is a lot easier. I had to use a long 3/8 metal rod to knock one of them out from the opposite side.

/ G5200 routine maitenance #8  
What was the actual belt size you bought. I bought a wide one like you had and it was too long (97"). Couldn't get a wide one in the right length so got a smaller one that was 3 inches shorter but after putting it on, was actually longer than the wide one when it was mounted. I found another skinny one that fit but I kinda liked the wide one better.

The deck belt is Kubota P/N 70712-34710. I need to order a spare, as the current one is showing some wear on the edges and I don't want to be down & waiting for a part when it finally gives out. The wider belt will fit the sheaves better and slip less when you get into the tall, thick stuff. Thanks for the tip on removal. That's why I like TBN - lots of solutions.
-Jim