Galfre Drum Mower Performance

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #11  
I bought mine from Tractor Tools Direct (tractortoolsdirect.com) in Indiana and had to have it shipped here and I assembled it myself. It's a heavy machine and well made. Yes I am still positive about the Galfre 190 performance and this year was my third season with it.

I'm about three and a half hours from you so if you want to see the 190 up close let me know. Contact Tractor Tools Direct and see what they have available. I think they have other brands available and they are the parts source for Galfre.

I致e harvested my grass hay in the past with a very old slow JD 7 ft mower/conditioner that is now at the end of life. I like the speed and low maintenance of rotary cutting rather than a sickle bar. I would like to harvest my timothy earlier in June rather than July when it is over mature and the seed heads have gone. Therefore I need fast drying to take advantage of the shorter intervals of dry weather between thunderstorms in June. Even with only a 7 ft mower my wind rows needed to be turned for rapid full drying; that痴 why I think the 澱lack hole feature would be helpful. Spread it out for rapid dry and then rake for baling. Haymaking for me is more of a favor to provide good quality grass hay for my horses and for those of a few friends. Everyone around here seems to like multiple crops of irrigated alfalfa, which is too hot for horses that lead a life of leisure.

Thanks for the offer of letting me see the Galfre, but the Italian factory rep sent me both the owner痴 and assembly manuals for the 190 so I think I have a good appreciation of how it is designed. Your feedback on the mower performance was helpful. Does the 澱lack hole feature spread the hay out evenly to your satisfaction?

Also I was thinking the offset 3 pt mount of the mower would be beneficial to trim light brush and grass from the shoulders of my logging haul roads as well as those areas of canary grass that I do not harvest for hay.

I looked on the tractortools direct webpage and they only list Ibex and Terra brands of drum mowers, but I'll give them an email.

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance
mower windrows 003.JPG
I致e harvested my grass hay in the past with a very old slow JD 7 ft mower/conditioner that is now at the end of life. I like the speed and low maintenance of rotary cutting rather than a sickle bar. I would like to harvest my timothy earlier in June rather than July when it is over mature and the seed heads have gone. Therefore I need fast drying to take advantage of the shorter intervals of dry weather between thunderstorms in June. Even with only a 7 ft mower my wind rows needed to be turned for rapid full drying; that痴 why I think the 澱lack hole feature would be helpful. Spread it out for rapid dry and then rake for baling. Haymaking for me is more of a favor to provide good quality grass hay for my horses and for those of a few friends. Everyone around here seems to like multiple crops of irrigated alfalfa, which is too hot for horses that lead a life of leisure.

Thanks for the offer of letting me see the Galfre, but the Italian factory rep sent me both the owner痴 and assembly manuals for the 190 so I think I have a good appreciation of how it is designed. Your feedback on the mower performance was helpful. Does the 澱lack hole feature spread the hay out evenly to your satisfaction?

Also I was thinking the offset 3 pt mount of the mower would be beneficial to trim light brush and grass from the shoulders of my logging haul roads as well as those areas of canary grass that I do not harvest for hay.

I looked on the tractortools direct webpage and they only list Ibex and Terra brands of drum mowers, but I'll give them an email.

here's a picture of our windrows after mowing. I posted these in a thread back in2015.

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #13  
Here's mine previously posted:

The crop is Sorghum-Sudan Gotcha Plus. Mower is the Agrimaster 190 I bought from Small Farm Innovations many years ago. Today he has the 6 footer like mine, for $3875 as I recall. Even with this much crop to process, I still have a clean entrance into the uncut row so I don't have any holidays or over cut and on the other side, my tractor's tires aren't stomping on cut product. Also, note the square corner, no having to go back and clean up corners with a big X over the field.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 478
  • P1010151.JPG
    P1010151.JPG
    705.4 KB · Views: 380
  • P1010150.JPG
    P1010150.JPG
    713 KB · Views: 451
   / Galfre Drum Mower Performance #14  
Jerry/MT, thanks for the insight and for sharing your experience with your 190. We have a used Galfre drum mower in stock at the moment, and we currently stock and sell Terra drum mowers from Italy. The Terra drum mowers have a conditioning system as well that works great. I will attach links to our website for reference. BobTreeFarmer, if you have any questions, feel free to pass them our way as we are happy to help.

Tractor Tools Direct | Product Categories | Hay Mowers

Tractor Tools Direct | TL67 Standard Drum Mowers by Galfre – USED

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #15  
Jerry/MT, thanks for the insight and for sharing your experience with your 190. We have a used Galfre drum mower in stock at the moment, and we currently stock and sell Terra drum mowers from Italy. The Terra drum mowers have a conditioning system as well that works great. I will attach links to our website for reference. BobTreeFarmer, if you have any questions, feel free to pass them our way as we are happy to help.

Tractor Tools Direct | Product Categories | Hay Mowers

Tractor Tools Direct | TL67 Standard Drum Mowers by Galfre USED

I was interested in the Galfre because of the black hole system which would spread rather than wind row my grass hay.

Could you tell me why you chose to drop the Galfre line and pick up Terra, both Italian companies I believe....Bob

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #16  
Bob, great question. In a nutshell, Galfre had some internal setbacks causing some of the employees to break off into a new company. Along with these employees moving forward, they had improved on designs that hadn't made it to the end of Galfre production yet. These improvements to the machines also reflect the improvements to the internal workings of the company. Essentially Terra is the new and improved Glafre, in a few different ways. The Terra drum mowers have an updated and enhanced conditioning system that also spreads the hay rather than creating a windrow as most drum mowers will produce. The new Terra system works very well and makes more sense as a longevity improvement. The new system has tines that can be removed or replaced as needed.

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #17  
Bob, great question. In a nutshell, Galfre had some internal setbacks causing some of the employees to break off into a new company. Along with these employees moving forward, they had improved on designs that hadn't made it to the end of Galfre production yet. These improvements to the machines also reflect the improvements to the internal workings of the company. Essentially Terra is the new and improved Glafre, in a few different ways. The Terra drum mowers have an updated and enhanced conditioning system that also spreads the hay rather than creating a windrow as most drum mowers will produce. The new Terra system works very well and makes more sense as a longevity improvement. The new system has tines that can be removed or replaced as needed.
So, the white plastic pieces in this picture the are the conditioning tines?
TL71-Drum-Mower-Conditioner_Terra_06_Tractor-Tools-Direct.jpg
How well do they condition the hay compared to a roller conditioner (such as the one on our current hay mower, a NH 479)?

Aaron Z

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #18  
Aczlan, that is correct. The white nylon pieces are in fact the conditioning tines. We have had great reviews and feedback from this design. They are durable and can be replaced unlike the Galfre design. You have the option of running the machine without them, and they truly work well. The difference is that this conditioning system due to its design, tends to impact and bend the materials being cut and then spreads the material out, all in one. Rather than other designs and models of conditioning systems. Other types being slightly more intensive, such as roller conditioners, or flail types etc.. Our design is similar to a flail type. With our system, it cuts, conditions, and fluffs by spreading out the bent and split materials. Feel free to contact us for more information and/or to help make the best decision for your operational needs. Thanks for the questions, and I hope this helps.

/ Galfre Drum Mower Performance #19  
I recently purchased a Galfre drum mower (Model FR/G 190) and just completed haying. This is a first for me, never having done my own haying before. But that's another story.

There have been many comments about the requirement for a tedder to spread the cut grass out after mowing it with a drum mower. The implication was that if you buy a drum mower you need to also have a tedder to ted the cut grass. The Galfre has what they call their "Black Hole" conditioning system. It consists of some steel plates above the drum blade carrier that spin with the drum. It spreads the cut forage out behind the mower. Here's a picture below. All I needed to do was to rake this up and bale it, which I did. Some of the bales are in the background. I have to say that we are in the midst of a drought and my problem was the hay dried "too quickly". I had to bale in the early part of the day to have some moisture in the bale. So it's not a good test of whether the conditioning system speeds drying.

My conclusion is that the Galfre 190 with the "Black Hole" conditioning system does not require a tedder. (I have no personal connection to Galfre or Galfre dealers.)

Where do you get your replacement blades from for your Galfrie?