Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #31  
I'm rebuilding a picnic table. Does it make sense to source bolts, washers and nuts online? If so, does anyone have a good go-to source for low cost galvanized bolts and such? Maybe it's just as pricey to hit a local big box store? So far, boltdepot.com seems like the deal
You might consider a local Co-Op if you have one close. Our Co-Op carries all kinds of fasteners at about 2/3rd the cost from HD or TSC.

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #32  
If you can get US galvi, I suppose that's okay, but around here everyone except the rare marine-supply store stocks China-made. For me, there's none closer than a two-hour round trip.

I live on salt water and have pretty much given up on galvi. I use stainless steel from Amazon. It's China-made and will tarnish eventually, but not evaporate as Chinese gavli does.

I got to wondering about something else, since we've been kicking this around for a few days now and the OP has already ordered his bolts.

What I'm wondering is if anyone who didn't know before has learned from this thread that there are different types of galvanizing - with different properties & prices.
Same for stainless.

rScotty

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #33  
I gave up on hot dipped galvanized X years ago and just go with SS. Seems that stainless fasteners have come down in price over the years. You can even reused them it you like, they do last that long. 🤤

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #34  
I live in Michigan where the water is salt free and shark free.
ACQ treated lumber eats up steel fastners faster than a Bear on steroids but I’ve had good luck with anything ‘Spax’ or green label ‘Simpson’ and I love those Torex star heads.
when restocking my bolt bin for farm use, TSC bulk by the pound grade 5 is my go to source.
B. John

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #35  
TSC by the pound is cheapest. Menards for larger than 3/8 or long bolts, Menards for SS bolts in package of a few. I would probably use galvanized. Might last as long as the wood. If not, replace them, still cheaper that SS.

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #36  
Remember if this is going to be near salt water that stainless doesn't handle being exposed to chlorides w/o oxygen... even 316 chainplates bedded against a sailboat hull have sudden failed because of this. Hot dipped galvanized is what most of the fishing boats use.

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #37  
My TSC stopped carrying galvanized, which is too bad, because the price/pound was awesome.

For big projects with bulk orders, now I order from boltdepot.com. Much better pricing than Lowes or Home Depot.

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #38  
Guys,
Electro plate galvanize is a coating, while hot dip galvanize is a chemical bond. The steel when emerged in zinc under temperature (715F) creates not only a coating (like electroplating) but also a chemically bonded mix between the zinc and steel under the surface plate. The chemical bonded layer is what makes it so much more resistant to rusting.
David from jax

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #39  
I live in Michigan where the water is salt free and shark free.
ACQ treated lumber eats up steel fastners faster than a Bear on steroids but I’ve had good luck with anything ‘Spax’ or green label ‘Simpson’ and I love those Torex star heads.
when restocking my bolt bin for farm use, TSC bulk by the pound grade 5 is my go to source.
B. John
My wife has that decal on her camper-salt free and shark free-good stuff!

/ Galvanized bolts? Need 36 carriage bolts, washers and nuts #40  
Hot dips seem to all be grade 2. Any otherwise are marked but seem rare vs plated. I once pre-drilled 5/16" x 3 1/2" deep for 'waxed' 3/8" x 3" lags and easily snapped 'em off in treated 4x4 posts with a 7" long, 3/8" drive socket wrench and one hand. We hadda go with plated to find grade 5s otherwise back then.

Stainless rocks, but I'm buying a lot of coated deck screws with 'star' drive anymore. (beats the bejeebers out of Ph2 or square drive, IMO)

btw, marine experience means I won't hesitate to through-bolt, include backing plates, and bed fasteners to keep water & O2 out where appropriate. That said, best Ph2 bit I've found is VA "Ice bit" made for drywall. Its narrow #2 tip won't 'cam' out like wider ones & requires less push to prevent the ol' 'rattle' the bungs-up a screw. Buy 'en in 10-packs at $10 or less. You're welcome. 😁