Game Food Plots

/ Game Food Plots
Lakengulf Those are some nice young deer, look like long tines on them and they appear to only be 2.5 yr olds.

Thanks Clemson, the only thing I can take credit for are some green fields, saw tooth oak trees, leaving the young pine thickets nearby as thick as molasses, and having the large pines in the wooded section thinned so more room for red and white oaks. This particular area is only about 70 acres, and the property on the four sides is owned by four different folks, so four different hunting groups. For that reason I am pleased to see that there are these kind of bucks around.

This area will forever be called the Bull Pen. When my dad and brother raised cattle this remote spot was the home of several bulls when they were not "in service". Here they fought with each other, but had no other cows around to tempt them to test the fences. I have two eight point racks from this area, so I know it has grown some good deer.

/ Game Food Plots #62  
To get my self and others in the mood for deer season ( muzzel loader season starts tomorrow here) i will post some of my recent big deer.

The first is of my big deer for the 08 season and the second is my big deer of the 09 season. Hope this year is as good. Both these deer came from within 300yds of each other on my 130 acre property.

Attachments

• 100_2004.Jpg
    100_2004.Jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_4666.jpg
    100_4666.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 206
   / Game Food Plots #63  
Last week we needed rain. Since this past Saturday night we have gotten about 12 inches (unofficially), with over half of it coming in a slow, steady rain. Last night and this morning we had downpours that ran off, flooded small streams and streets. A few more showers are called for tonight. My food plot should be wet enough now to carry my rye and rape on through deer season.

/ Game Food Plots #64  
My food plot is growing good now. Rye is several inches tall, and rape is covering the land where I sowed it. I saw 12 deer in the rye Friday evening, and 11 on Saturday evening. Bow season opened here this past Saturday, but I don't bowhunt. Blackpowder season starts in a couple weeks. That is when I start hunting.

/ Game Food Plots #65  
Yesterday I checked one of my plots where I have a 15ft tripod set up. It's actually a firebreak I keep planted so it's pretty long, about 220yds, but only about 15-20ft wide. The wheat is coming up good, about 3-4 inches tall now. There were a good many deer tracks in it so it's just a matter of time before it starts getting used. This is not a spot I hunt pretty regularly, mostly I go sit there when it's raining (cause it has a roof on it). :) Rifle season opens 10/11 here, so it will be on after that!

/ Game Food Plots
Still dry in central Alabama but we put some see in the ground anyway. The plots had been plowed previously, so the dust broke up nicely. Planted a regular food plot mix with wheat, rye and oats, and planted two small areas of purple top turnips. Couple of new food plot areas so I hope we get some rain, the plots grow and the deer and turkey like them.

I am still in a cast on my right leg, so we meet at the barn to get started. We drive toward the hunting area this way: (1) I drive my truck left footed (2) my hunting buddy drives my Kioti CK30 that he has never driven before and (2) his son drives the manual shift truck that he does not know how to drive. We were a motley crew, to say the least.

/ Game Food Plots #67  
I've received almost an inch of rain today. It's been dry since planting and I'm hopeful that this will get my seeds going!!!!

Eddie

/ Game Food Plots
I've received almost an inch of rain today. It's been dry since planting and I'm hopeful that this will get my seeds going!!!!

Eddie

Rain is still scarce in these parts, but we did get 1/2 inch of rain on the new planting on Tuesday. That should at least settle the dust and make it harder for the turkeys and crows to find the seed.