Gantry for Garage

/ Gantry for Garage #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
Finally started a new thread for my small Gantry project. I've been thread-jacking someone else's barn gantry-crane thread.

Picked up most of the steel, and ordered the wheels today. No pics. Hopefully I'll get some this weekend.

Purchased scrap steel for $0.30 per lb from my local steel shop. Got a 13' of 10"x4" W steel Ibeam. Cut it down to 11'. They had some 5"x5"x1/8"x7.5' box tubing. The box tubing was used as vertical supports before, so it already has plate welded to the top and bottom (and a piece of angle here & there). Since I'm going for max height out of my 12' ceiling, I had to cut 22" off each end of one, and welded them to my 2 vertical legs.

I plan on using a single 93" piece of 5x5 box tubing for the horizontal legs.

For wheels, I"m using 2 wheels, side by side on each end of each horizontal legs. Each of the 8 wheels are rated at 700 lbs, giving me a little over 2 tons lifting capability for the wheels.

/ Gantry for Garage #3  
Not all I-beams are created equal. I-beams use an AISI description that gives the depth in inches and weight per foot. Are you saying you bought a W10x4? As in 4 pounds per foot? That's like purlin steel and not suitable for a Gantry. While the flange may be close to 4", what counts is the web and flange thickness and thus the weight. For 2000 lbs over an 11 foot span, you should be looking for something like a W10x15 or better.

/ Gantry for Garage
Not all I-beams are created equal. I-beams use an AISI description that gives the depth in inches and weight per foot. Are you saying you bought a W10x4? As in 4 pounds per foot? That's like purlin steel and not suitable for a Gantry. While the flange may be close to 4", what counts is the web and flange thickness and thus the weight. For 2000 lbs over an 11 foot span, you should be looking for something like a W10x15 or better.

thank you for the concern. I am just learning about I-beam specs. I was saying that the beam is 10" high, 4"x(either 3/16" or 1/4") web. According to the bathroom scale, it weighs in at approx 18 lbs per foot. It is a "W", not an "S"

/ Gantry for Garage #5  
it sounds like what you are building will be good for about 20 tons.:)

i built a gantry that can be disassembled/reassemble by one person and loaded in the back of a pickup truck.

it has lifted close to 5 tons using the outboard rigging points and can lift a 2000lbs welding machine from the center point. it is built using 2x2x.125 wall hss for the legs and 2x2x.187 for the top. i built another one like it with 8" wheels but it's lifting capacity is far lower because of the wheels.

i don't mean to hijack your thread, just throwing out some ideas.:)

Attachments

• gantry1.JPG
    gantry1.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 670
  • gantry2.JPG
    gantry2.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 760
  • gantry3.JPG
    gantry3.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • gantry4.JPG
    gantry4.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 607
   / Gantry for Garage #6  
You realize it takes a special trolley to run on a wide flange beam don't you? The more common trolleys are for S-shape / I-beams. ;)

/ Gantry for Garage
You realize it takes a special trolley to run on a wide flange beam don't you? The more common trolleys are for S-shape / I-beams. ;)

Thanks. The trolley I'm looking at, is listed on Harbor Freight, says it's for both S & W beams. Not sure how they do that, since the interior flange angles are different.

2 Ton Push Beam Trolley

/ Gantry for Garage
RJMack - Nice crane you have there. Can't believe you are able to lift that much with just 2x2 box. WOW

Last edited:
   / Gantry for Garage #9  
Thanks. The trolley I'm looking at, is listed on Harbor Freight, says it's for both S & W beams. Not sure how they do that, since the interior flange angles are different.

2 Ton Push Beam Trolley

It sure does! The wheels must have a flat area next to the flange of the wheel so it will ride on a W-shape, or HP-shape.
Being as it's from Harbor Freight and says 2-Ton capacity, I wouldn't lift over 1-Ton! ;)

/ Gantry for Garage #10  
Can't believe you are able to lift that much with just 2x2 box

you wouldn't believe what you can do with that stuff. i built a set of jin poles, ended up bending the truck frame like a banana...

i guess it's time to start a thread on that.:laughing: