Garage door opener installation

/ Garage door opener installation #1  

Mac25

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 HST with LA 364 FEL
I am trying to install a garage door opener on my newly built barn with 10' doors. How do you attach the opener to the door when there are no center hinges? My hinges are to the left and right of center. Anyone have pics?

/ Garage door opener installation #2  
My opener does not attach to hinges. It has been working that way for 15 years. If the door is well counter-balanced the attachment point does not have a lot of strain on it. If you were wanting to attach to hinges just get a piece of angle iron to span from one hinge to the next.

/ Garage door opener installation #3  
If I understand your door, it's like mine. Here is the recommended way to attach.

garage door.jpg

/ Garage door opener installation #4  
If I understand your door, it's like mine. Here is the recommended way to attach.

View attachment 404042

If you have a jackshaft and torsion spring arrangement like that, consider a jackshaft opener. It attaches to the end of the jackshaft and mounts to the door header off to the side. Very compact and simple, and no need for overhead tracks, attachment to the door, etc. Liftmaster makes a couple models in the $250 range (street prices).

/ Garage door opener installation #5  
If you have a jackshaft and torsion spring arrangement like that, consider a jackshaft opener. It attaches to the end of the jackshaft and mounts to the door header off to the side. Very compact and simple, and no need for overhead tracks, attachment to the door, etc. Liftmaster makes a couple models in the $250 range (street prices).
We had one installed where I used to work (low ceiling in a garage that needed to have E250 vans come and go several times a day) and it worked well.

Aaron Z

/ Garage door opener installation #6  
We had one installed where I used to work (low ceiling in a garage that needed to have E250 vans come and go several times a day) and it worked well.

Aaron Z

Thats what I use in my airplane hanger. Works great and nothing overhead.

Chris

/ Garage door opener installation #7  
Worked for a large garage door manufacturer and all the above answers are correct. If the garage door is sprung properly it only takes 20 lbs of lift to get it to open. Jackshafts use the torsion tube and drums to raise the door so no track underneath the door to reduce height. Hinges have backing plates underneath them so bridging two hinges together with a angle works as well.

/ Garage door opener installation #9  
Standard opener, with middle pull point, just need a brace across the top of the door, at least between hinge points.

The brace can be a minimum of a 3" plate across the points or I would consider a piece of angled steel, short one side for the top of the door and long the other for the face of the door.

Just me thinking out loud again !

/ Garage door opener installation #10  
I recently replaced my 10 ft wooden garage door with a steel insulated garage door and had the installer use the opener rather than buy another one. He installed it like shown for a chain driven opener and had to adjust it because the lift spring (once loaded) easily raises the door. The weight of the old wooden door (with side springs) needed to pull the door up which took some effort on the part of the opener. Not so much with new door set up.

PAGUY